Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GUI listing of file owners for a directory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krajci

MIS
Feb 15, 2000
US
Does anyone know a good GUI (or DOS if it will print cleanly) program/utility to show the file owners in a Novell directory/volume? The powers that be want to know who is utilizing certain areas of our VOL1 directory. I know through Netware Admin I can place restrictions on space usage and see how much room the users have taken up, but I am looking to get a listing of where and what these files are without doing it file by file, directory by directory. Any ideas?

The NetWare/DOS utility NDIR will show the owner. You could use the /sub option to show subdirectories, and use the pipe >filename.txt to create a text file of the results. Not elegant, but gets the job done. NDIR /? will show all the options. I usually run it to show all files that have not been updated since a certain date.

Thanks man. I just ran it. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works. Do you know if Netware 5 has a more robust utility for this type of reporting?

Try the shareware program called "Treesize" (runs from a WIn95/NT client).  Although NDIR will work, it skews the results, especially if the aministrator or other power user installed many files for others.  Treesize graphically displays the size of each folder branch.  If the folders on VOL1 are broken down by user, then Treesize will go a good job provinding the info you want.  I've been using version 1.2 for a while - it's small and quick, even on a 125 user network.

I installed Treesize v1.51 and it looks very useful.  How do you get it to break it down by user?

Unfortunately Treesize does not look at the NDS owner.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, if each user has their own &quot;home&quot; folder, the displayed results will show you the size of each folder branch - which can be very useful.&nbsp;&nbsp;Consider this....&nbsp;&nbsp;When you run NDIR and look at the ownership of files in a particular folder, the results could be severly skewed if an administrator (or other user) places many files or installs a program in the other users folder.&nbsp;&nbsp;For example, if I installed a program or copy a bunch of files for another user and place them in their folder, NDIR will display that I own the files (even though I many never use them).&nbsp;&nbsp;With Treesize, the results don't care who is the actual owner, only what is contained in the folder.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you need more detailed results, you could use NDIR to investigate suspect folders.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Hope this helps...<br><br>Lawhead.

Thanks!&nbsp;&nbsp;I have already used TreeSize to retrieve some of the wasted disk space on our network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back