Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GUI Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexfusion

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
AR
Hello everyone,

First I have to thank to gerrygerry for the help in a post about updating a database.Thanks!

I have built an Intranet aplication using PHP and MySQL.
The user log into the system and a popup window displays the time he/she is using the system and charges according to that time.It works fine.
I need the user not to close for himself the small window,which is minimised most if the time.
If the user decides to log out,he/she needs to have an autorized person to close the popup window.That's me!.
What kind of Graphic User Interface should I use?.
I tried with javascript.If the user try to close the window,I use the unload event handler to reopen the window.
Of course I'm assuming the user doesn't know how to disable javascript.But this seems very unsecure.
Anyone has a better idea about what kind of GUI I must use so the user can't close the window,I mean avoiding CTRL+ALT+DEL or ALT+F4 or the close button?

Any help very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

alexfusion

i can't help youo out ... but what about the switch off button? can you avoid that too, or a power failure? Anikin
Hugo Alexandre Dias
Web-Programmer
anikin_jedi@hotmail.com

Hello Anikin,
Thank you for responding the question.I guess you are right.
I can't avoid a power failure or the swith button.
What do you think about the javascript way?

Kindest Regards,

alexfusion

I say even the dummiest user of all knows how to switch off computers.
don't do that, but use other things to control users. Anikin
Hugo Alexandre Dias
Web-Programmer
anikin_jedi@hotmail.com

I'd use a logging method on the server (write amount of time logged in to a file) this way whatever happens client side you still have a pretty accurate log on the server. ***************************************
Party on, dudes!
[cannon]

Hi everyone,
Thank you all for the help.Very much appreciated!.I apologize for the time it took me to write back.I never forget to say thank you.
I think a login method on the server is good.I'll try out storing the time the user logged in.

Thanks a lot,

alexfusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back