Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GUI for Nortel Meridian Option 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Page7

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2010
IE
I've just inherited a mess of a wiring closet included inside is a Nortel Meridian Option 11. I'm new to working with phone systems and from what I've searched so far I haven't found any GUI's for working with this system that are free or close to it.

Any of you old pro's know of any GUI's I can download to connect to the system that are reasonably priced?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I really don't want to have to go through this system with hyperterminal with over 50 extensions (dn's)

No software out there for GUI, the closest is Telephony Manager (TM). Nortel Option 11 or PBX is all Command line.

Thanks for the reply SSJVirus007! Where can I get a copy of Telephony Manager (TM)? Do you have a download link?

The place you want to be is GHTROUT's site. Gene has put together the best information tips for new and old users (Me!). On the 2nd page of Tek-Tips is another link to his site. TM is somewhat more complicated to new users. ALL New users should start at the command line to learn the system. Using a GUI really will not teach you anything about the in's and out's of the PBX. You should also find a good local Nortel Vendor and have a good tech come by and give you some tips of what to look for.
If this thing is really in a closet, you might be careful of its environment, to not burn it up. It is a computer.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

Thanks for the link DocVic! Those PDF packages will definitely give me a deeper understanding of the system. Here is my real problem. I need an overview of the all the extensions and what ports they are connected to so that I can make some quick changes and add some new extensions as well... That's why I'm looking for a link where I can download a GUI I haven't been able to find anything on Nortel or Google...

one easy way to look at your setup is to go here

then download the MV parser, after that capture your TNB data
using procom or hyperterminal then save that to a file and point the MV parser at it, all your data will be populated onto a speadsheet, nice and easy to read then.

Thanks Gibblett! That will really help!

Is there a cost to Telephony Manager or is it a free download? I can't even find a place to buy it through google...

Telepphony Manager is not free and can only be purchased through a Nortel/Avaya Partner. Depending upon the software release of the PBX, it may be to old.

We have Communications Server version 3.0b on an old computer in the closet problem is I can't get into the Admin part of the program it requires a username and password I know the available usernames from opening one of the mdb's but can't find the password this was implemented in 2004 and no one from then is here now and there's no documentation any suggestions on how to get the password or place a new user?

I have an interest in C# and a work load of Nortel. Suggest, if I start working on a software that can Telnet CPPM-SS and configure things under GUI mode (as it is convenient for some beginners and administration purposes of end user). In that case, what basic administration functions do you suggest me to provide to end user (like changing DN, moving DN etc).

Just to chime in with my two cents.... I would not recommend TM to anyone. We have had it for years for our 30+ site network. No one uses it because it is clumsy and not reliable. The administration functions that it provides are weak and the reporting is severely limited.

I agreee that the best bet is to get some hands on training from a Nortel trained person so you can use the command line interface. Then use the spreadsheet tools listed in the earlier posts to get an overview of what you've got.

Good luck.

The BEST GUI I have every found, Start -> Run -> CMD -> Telnet XXX.XXX.XX.XXX

But on a serious note, once you start to get a grasp on the command level prompts, it is so much easier than any current GUI that is out there. It is a little akward at first, but once you get in there, you can do some digging around and find out what you have. Then, working on it will be a breeze.

Also, next time, I won't just assume I am on page 1 and will actually check so as not to bump posts from over a month ago. Sorry guys/gals . . .

lOl @ Telnet as a best GUI. CLI is themost flexible way of gripping ANY system. I used to program Alcatel OXE in GUI mode and trust me, it was enough to make me out of mind.

For basic admin users, this is a good and easy start to learn on Nortel products.

For a full detailed system listing in excel, use this link to download a guide and program.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back