Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GUI creation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastermagrath

Technical User
May 21, 2004
US
Hi folks,

I know perl quite well now but have been pondering writing a program that will need something i'm not too sure about.
If i wished to create a program with a gui in which something is occuring constantly and i wish to be able to change say a slider widget on a GUI during run time which will affect the behaviour of the 'something' what do i need to know to these sorts of things? So far all my programming has been fairly sequential with a few bits and pieces involving processes and forks.

Thanks in advance

You obviously need to learn about event driven programming.
What OS are you going to work with? Does this need to be platform independant? (Tk maybe then) Is it windoze specific? (Win32 specifics maybe then).

Trojan.

I've heard good things about (but not personally used) wxPerl, the Perl implementation of wxWidgets. It's platform-independent, as Tk, but as you can see from the screenshots, it always looks like a native window. Tk always looked out of place in Windows or KDE.

- Andrew
Text::Highlight - A language-neutral syntax highlighting module in Perl
also on SourceForge including demo

wxPerl looks pretty cool.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

I've never tried it either but the idea sounds good to me.
Give it a go! :)

Trojan.

Thanks everyone, i think i'll look into tk for starters as there seems to be quite a lot of info/books about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back