Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GUI Backup Mgr fails - I set Volume Size too large

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeinHorwich

Programmer
Jul 8, 2009
GB
5.0.6 version. Re-installed yesterday at a site to overcome unrelated problem. At end of Unix re-install was able to use backup manager on GUI screen to restore software & data. When setting Media Default values I set volume size to 4000000000 by mistake.
relinked kernal, shut-down, re-started etc then tried backup on following day. Error message states:
Failed to retrieve local host device list.
Further info refers to integer too large.
Hardware perfect, able to tar and CPIO to /dev/rct0.

Conclude I need to reduce volume size but only way to do this is run backup manager - which fails as above.

Spent 5 hours searching doc. for where volume size is stored.

On support system tried removing SCSI tape then create SCSI tape - relinked kernel etc. To no avail.
Help, please.....thanks
Mike

I'd look in the /etc/default directory.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks for the suggestion PHV. Already checked that directory and it doesn't store the media size that was entered via the Backup facility on the GUI screen.

Maybe here:

/var/opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.7Hw/sa/backup
(your pathname will differ because you are on 5.0.6)

That's just a guess. I've never used that Backup utility you are playing with.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Motoslide,

There is indeed Intelligent Life in Oregon.

Thanks mate. I've had access to my customer (in south east London - UK) via modem this morning and followed your sugestion.
/var/opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.6Ga/sa/backup contains a file named media

This in turn shows

/dev/rmt/Sc0s0:
volumeSize=40000000000
blockSize=20480
mediaPrep=

I was able to vi this file, remove two of the zeros from the over-sized volumeSize and it worked a treat.

Again, my greatest thanks motoslide - and to this site.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back