Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GUI access to Linux from Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

YCL

MIS
Nov 12, 1998
HK
Hello all,

What do I need to install and setup to allow the Win95/98 users of our LAN to have GUI acccess to the Linux server. currently they are accessing it via telnet using terminal emmulation program like NetComm.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-ycl

i've seen a program that does this, but i dont remember what it was called. i'll look for it and post back. adam@aauser.com

Are you referring to SAMBA for file sharing or are you talking about an X client for Windows?

You can use VNC for desktop access. You can also use programs like hummingbird exceed to get xterm access. If you just want to file share you should use samba. I think what you're asking for is more along VNC access (it's like a PC Anywhere thing).

i don't think VNC suits your needs (if it works like under windows, you have access directly to the server, seeing the display of the server, which can be annoying if you have multiple users :)

then you can use an Xserver for windows, like exceed, or MicroImages X Server (both of them are not free...) this way your win9x stations can act as if they were linux stations (run their OWN window manager...)
VNC is free...

btw if someone knows a free Xserver for win2000/NT/98 ...

has a very nice X server for $90, and the free demo download has no expire time, it just limits you to 30-minute sessions, after which you have to restart.

VNC is worth checking out, though. ( It actually can support multiuser mode on a Unix system, unlike a Windows system. The way it works is you can run as many vnc server sessions as you want on the Unix server, and each one can be directed to a different virtual display: "vncserver :2", "vncserver :3", etc... (so from your windows station, you could connect to 192.168.1.45:2, or 192.168.1.45:3, each as a different session)

VNC can be a bit annoying on a slow connection, though, because the mouse clicks are not processed locally, as with an X server. One plus is that VNC is totally stateless, like viewing a web page, so you can literally disconnect, go to someone else's office and reconnect to the same display without closing any programs.

Thanks for all the replies and info.

I am actually looking for an X client on the Windows side so that my windows users can connect to the X/Linux servers from their Windows workstations. Samba is already running fine in our LAN for quite a while. I have heard of VNC but haven't really looked into it. I will now.

If anyone has more info on (free) products similar to those mentioned in the replies, pls post it here too.

Many thanks.

-ycl

Hi!!!

In my opinion that doesn't work because I have a linux box with an Anihilator video card and in the X server it runs with OpenGL support (I think it works faster than windows) and Windows doesn't have OpenGL support in the desktop!!!

I think that you are trying to do reduces the performance of linux (that's in my case).

I am newbie in linux but it's enough to use a terminal to manage your server because you have full access to it using YAST/YAST2 (I have SUSE 7.0) and of course using a terminal emulator like vnc.

Check out Hummingbird INC.'s "Exceed" application. This is an X-server which runs from windows to access Unix machines. I don't know how much it costs, but it is an excellent application with a lot of excellent programs, from telnet, ftp (using a windows explorer type gui) to Hummingbird Neighborhood which is like network neighborhood. is the URL. I use this at work and love it. It's pretty easy to setup too. d3funct
borg@pcgeek.net
The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

I know there's already quite a few recommendations for a GUI interface on Windows for your Linux Server but.... you might want to consider Reflection Suite for X from WRQ. Here is an insert about Reflection Suite for X:

Reflection Sutie for X -

Integrates Windows desktops with graphical UNIX applications and NFS services and connects to UNIX, OpenVMS, Unisys, Linux, and IBM hosts. Includes an integrated VT emulator, precise TN3270E and TN5250E emulation, and centralized management tools.

Have Fun!
Chuck

I know there's already quite a few recommendations for a GUI interface on Windows for your Linux Server but.... you might want to consider Reflection Suite for X from WRQ. Here is an insert about Reflection Suite for X:

Reflection Sutie for X -

Integrates Windows desktops with graphical UNIX applications and NFS services and connects to UNIX, OpenVMS, Unisys, Linux, and IBM hosts. Includes an integrated VT emulator, precise TN3270E and TN5250E emulation, and centralized management tools.

Here is their site:

Have Fun!
Chuck

for a totally free solution you could use the cygwin utilities in conjunction with cygwin's xfree86 x server. i use this on a regular basis to connect from my nt clients to my redhat 6.2 server over my private lan.

go to to check out this nifty program. btw cygwin is now owned by redhat, so upgrades are distributed in rpm format - very easy to install software upon. cygwins tools also include a telnet server as well as a complete unix environment for your 95/98/nt/2000 machines ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back