Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guest user

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2willi4

MIS
Sep 19, 2006
US
Is there a guest user in Oracle similar to that of MSSQL?
If not, is there a guest equivalent?

Thanks!

J2Willi4,

We can help you set up what you need, but first we need you to explain what you want the guest user to be able to do. Why do you not want to set up specific Oracle users for specific people? Do you simply want anonymous users to have access to your database?

This is like saying we would like guest (anonymous) users at Bank of America so that anyone can come in and deposit or withdraw money whenever they please.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Mufasa,
Thanks, i really appreciate any help you can provide... might sound kind of odd.. but I'm not actually trying to set up a guest user account on a database... I'm not an oracle dba... or even have access to the database here... but i have been tasked with comparing and documenting some of the differences in user access controls from a security standpoint... (which really is not in my bag of tricks... gotta love a challenge)

my understanding of a guest account on other platforms is that if there is legitimate loginID to the dbms, but that loginID is not mapped to a specific userID, if a guest account is present in the database, that loginID takes on the user "guest" and therefore has the any privileges granted to guest (& public)...

In this respect, is there a similar form of "guest" in oracle that could potentially undermine security?

i have scoured through metalink and other forms of documentation and haven't really come up with a definitive answer. a point in the right direction would be wonderful.

Thanks!!!

J2Willi4,

Because Oracle preaches high security, Oracle does not have "GUEST" accounts. The only accounts that Oracle creates by default when you issue the "CREATE DATABASE..." command are the administrative accounts, SYS and SYSTEM.

To their discredit, however, when you let Oracle create a database as part of their database software installation (which I personally never do), Oracle runs ancillary scripts that create accounts such as the SCOTT user with the TIGER password. This is as close to a "generic" GUEST account that you get with Oracle.

Again, I discourage anyone from checking the "CREATE a database" box when doing an Oracle installation because of all of the extra "fluff" (such as SCOTT/TIGER) that you get with that option.

Did this answer your question?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back