Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guest on a domain...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgePal

MIS
Oct 14, 2002
GR
Hello all,

I got one quick question to make.
I got my laptop which has 2 user accounts on it (Admin & say user). Its network settings r set to 'WORKGROUP' but it is not currently connected anywhere.
I want to plug the laptop on my enterprise's switch (its on SBS2003 and a DOMAIN), have my laptop logon the domain BUT be able to logon with my local account and have the user setting that i have when i work on the laptop locally.
I mean that after logging on the domain and the computer starts windows, i want to have the dekstop i had b4, the documents, etc..
Is that possible? And how please?

Thanks!

You can't log on to your enterprise domain without adding the computer account to the domain. Then, obviously, it will creat a new domain profile for you. This is the problem, as I understand it. You will still have both profiles in working condition, but you will only be able to use domain resources from your new profile, not your old one. To migrate your profile you can:

-Reboot and log on as administrator to copy your old profile over your new one. This method can have issues.

-Swap the profile folder names for the two profiles in question. This method can also have issues.

-Delete the new domain profile. Use the built in Profile tool (Properties of My Computer > Advanced tab > Profiles) to create a copy of the good profile with the same name as the deleted domain profile. This works well.

Finally

-Copy (using the profile tool) the profile you wish to keep to a network share. Configure your user account to use this new copy as a roaming profile and log on. You can then respec the profile to as local and disable the roaming settings on your account. This is the method that works the best.

Good luck.

My local username and the one i will create for the domain can be the same..
Do i still need to go through the process u mention?
thanks for u reply ;)

Yes. Even though they are the same, they will have different SIDs (Security Identifiers). The visible name is only a friendly name to make things easier for you. The account is actually a long series of numbers. You will need an account that is valid for your doamin and you computer will as well.

Hmm... So whatever i do i need to have my settings stored on the domain, right?
However, even if i just plug the lan cable on the switch i can have internet access from laptop and access the shared files..

Internet access maybe. Shared files, probably not. It depends on the setup. Usually you can get an internet connection from plugging into the switch, but if your admin is worth his weight in salt, you will not be able to access any shared resources on the network. Yes, this is the standard in security.

A+, N+, MCSA:Messaging, MCSE

Furthemore, on one of the client computer of the domain i see that in the document and settings folder there r several subfolder that their use is doubted.
Administrator
Administrator.DomainName
Administrator.ClientPCName
AllUsers
AllUsers.Windows
DefaultUser
DefaultUser.Windows

Can the .windows account be deleted safelly??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back