Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guest Mailbox Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2001
US
Hello,
I set up a guest mailbox for a customer, it was an employee who works for another division of the company. He had a extension at one time that was a four digit ext. I used the previous number for the mailbox number on the guest mailbox.
When I made the box I did the star thing at the extension prompt so that it will not give it an ext. number. Set directory to Y and all the other things. I checked to make sure that ext was not in service. The problem is when I call the mailbox number It just rings when calling from outside in.When calling internally it shows "system busy" on the display.I also checked to make sure the mailbox did not exist. I don't know what I'm missing. Thanks for the Help.
Dmac,

yu have to initialise the mailBox before to use it.
from any set call the VM DN and you will be asked to enter the mail box number(GUESS mail box) and your pASSword .

i hope that will help u

I have it initialized and it still won't work. Thanks for the help though.
Dmac,

When you set up a guest mailbox (no station number assigned to it) the only ways you can get to the mailbox to leave a message is by dialing into the auto-attendent or any mailbox and then when you hear the voice from the auto-attendent or the persons greeting then you dial * followed by the extension. this transfers you to the greeting of the guest mailbox.
second method is to do a VM transfer Feature 9 8 6 or leave message Featur 9 8 0.
If you need to be able to dial directly into the mailbox you will need to set up a station to forward just like an ordinary user. JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

jerryreeve,
One thing I forgot to mention is that this former employee . His extension was a DID. So if I understand you correctly you would set this mailbox up with a DID just as if it had an extension attached to it?
Would this require an extension to be hooked up? I don't think they want an extension at this VM box.
Thanks,
Dmac,

Hey Dmac,
I think JR was indicating that one option was to set up an extention with CFNA set to the Vmbox or you need to access the Mbox through Vmail (dial during) AA, F980 or F986. You might try changing the Mbox number to a "virtual" series such as 500, 501 etc. I think your system is a little confused. Thinking about DIDs .... is it possible you are dialing the DID number from outside? If so the target phone programming may still be in place and not CFNAed to Vmail.
We are all assuming here that your Vmail is Norstar. If it isn't all bets are off.

PhMag

Arr,
Yes it is a NAM, I don't know which version. Yes the DID is being dialed from the outside. I'll try these other options and find out which one will work better for them. Thanks for the help.
Dmac,

Dmac,
Unfortunately the NAM cannot take DID calls directly, you have to count on the Norstar to make the translation from the DID to a station and then the NAM can make the translation from the station to the mailbox. I have yet to see an elegent way to get from an outside line to a mailbox. as far as I know, since it is a DID, you will have to set up a spare phone with the target trunk that is assigned that DID to forward to VoiceMail and the mailbox has to have the station (EXT) number assigned to it or the NAM will not know whick mailbox to sent the calls to. it is best (but not required) to keep the station number and the mailbox number the same. your guest can then just dial his own DID number and when answered dial the ** mailbox number/password combo to access his messages. JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back