Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guest account not working - I think 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jymm

Programmer
Apr 11, 2002
US
We just upgraded to Win2k server & SQL 2k (and along with that the latest and greatest IIS). All of the members of Domain admins can get into the asp pages (which point at the SQL data) just fine EXCEPT one that prefers Netscape 7 (they get in fine with IE 5.5). I also have a number of other users who are not part of Domain Admins. Both the domain admin user on Netscape 7 & the other users get the 'standard' login screen (name, pwd & domain) whenever they try to access the default asp page.

I am pretty sure that this whole thing is tied to the Guest account security and it not being set up correctly, but I am having a rough time finding it (especially with the Domain Admin person using Netscape not being able to get in and where to look - win2k, IIS or SQL - even though it all looks fine).

ANY specific ideas (other than check security - which I think I have done) are greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Can you please, just for the record, tell me which security things you checked than?

:)

Regards,

Tuur

Have you allowed anonymous access for that site under IIS?

Sorry - shoulda done this the first time...
In IIS the anonymous access is checked (for both the default web site and each specific web site).
The Anon user is iusr_<serverName>
Also verified that it is not a sql problem (ok, I am a sql person and not an IIS person... so I think it should all talk to each other).

an interesting thing that I did not see in previous versions of IIS is that in the list of possible accounts to use for the default user, the account 'Guest' has a red X by it. Not quite sure what 'they' did to set this up or how to get the X to go away (or if it is the problem at all.

Thanks for the look

I would leave the guest account disabled. You should check permissions on the folder that contains your asp code and if the everyone group has been removed you can add iusr_<servername> with read or possible read & execute permissions.

BINGO
The iusr_<servername> for this box was not in the domain group that I thought it was in... hence it WAS a directory security problem.

reach over your left shoulder with your right hand and give yourself a pat on the back for this one

THANKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back