Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GTX 680 Original bit rate? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
I was wondering what the original bit rate for the GTX 680 was? I thought it was 384 bit but considering I am only finding 256 bit ones, I am starting to think I was mistaken.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

If you are talking memory bus, than 256 is it. you can check out the different family cards from Nvidia here.

Just select a card, and then click specifications from the menu on the upper left and you can get all the specs for the card. But memory bus is becoming less of an issue, as how fast these cards are becoming. If you are going to be doing 4K or multiple display gaming, then it becomes an issue, but a single monitor, at 1080, that GTX 680 will play just about anything out there, on high or ultimate settings, depending on your CPU. A lot of newer games, are off loading a lot of the graphics back to the CPU again, because of the Xbox ONE, and the PS4, and games are cross developed. Take Dragon Age Inquisition, one of the best sellers of this last holiday season, you needed a quad core (or a dual core with hyperthreading) to even run the game, but even a lowly GTX 260 card that is 6 generations old, can play it on medium settings.

Funny you should mention 260 as that is exactly what I am running right now. Just plan on upgrading sometime in the future. Thanks for the info :)

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

The only 384bit Nvidia card starts at the 780.

I have a 760 in a hackintosh and its still only 256bit.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

You really have to check the specs out, for each model, as Nvidia jumped around a lot in memory bus. The GTX 260 mentioned has a 448 bit width bus, and really was an awesome card at the time for the price, and has held up fairly well. the 560ti and 570 class cards, had 320 bit wide memory bus. the 760 as mentioned has 256. But they went crazy in the 900 series cards, the 980 and 970 both only have a 256 bit bus, and the 960 is 128 bit, leaving hope they will come out with a 960ti or 965 with a 192 bit bus, or even 256 bit. As with any card, you really need to take a look at the review sites, and see the fps in games you want to play, and resolutions you want to play them in, and hopefully they do some of the benchmarking on systems that are more realistic. Just giving specs and benchmarks on an I7 top end model and 16 Gb DDR4 memory, and a top end SSD like a Samsung 850 Pro, is not very helpful to someone who is running a 4 year old I5 and 8GB of DDR3 and a mechanical hdd running 7200 rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back