Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GTW v.92 voice modem and XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmindy1

ISP
Jan 14, 2003
US
I'm new to this forum and I work for a small ISP. I have a customer with a GTW v.92 voice modem and Windows XP. He can connect but only after several, several attempts. When he tries, it goes through the handshake (it seems like a long time) then comes up with an unusual busy. I've added 4 commas after the phone number, lowered his modem settings, all the usual things. Cannot find any screen shots or init strings to tell me how to possibly disable the v92.

Also, he says that when he does connect, it's very slow.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Great site, btw!!

mindy

Yes, the dial up server is v.90 and why do you think an init string would not work.

Suzie

well, strings used for performance reasons are for the most part to change things like: disable v.90, v.92, kflex ect. or for connection problems like "time outs", line noise and things like that. but keep in mind that also with strings (AT commands) you can completely control the modem.

it could speed up some connections but you really have to know what your doing with the string in the first place. for example, a customer calls in and complains about a 26.4 connection. you can look at thier modem and find out that they have a kflex or X2 modem and your servers modem is V.90 in this case you could use a modem string and "up" their connection speed to 36.6 by disabling kflew or X2 and visa versa.

i hear alot of people just telling people to add some "special" string to fix everything. well, thats no way and no how! modems and servers are different and thats what you base you string on.

if you haven't seen it before, check this out.
"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Hi, We have a Creative Modem Blaster V-92 external serial modem. Our isp does not support v92 . we've tried ALOT of init strings, none really seeming to work correctly. Please give us some tips :p thanks

Try +MS=V90,0 or +MS=V90,1 Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

How much I hate internal softmodems, I'll try to lend a hand.

First thing, update your drivers for the modem. The newer the drivers (usually), the better. If that doesn't work, check your phone line quality. Too much static can cause problems. If that isn't the problem, check with your ISP.

Honestly, I prefer external serial modems. My USRobotics Courier 56K has worked flawlessly for years.

I'm a little late coming on this forum but found it during a search for GTW V.90
Not a question of what's wrong, but strangely a question of how come it works so well?
I have three modems including V.90 and the usual software things, but here the telco lines are not very good. Sometimes I connect at 28.8 kBps but more likely 24 or 26 or worse. Three of my rural neighbors get similar connects and downloads.
Setting up a machine for a another neighbor (adding partitions) I added a backup ISP for them since they go with AOL. I then tried connecting on the backup ISP (mine) to make sure it worked. It did, and the speed was consistently over 40 kBps. I was amazed and checked to see what modem they used. It was the GTW V.92 and not much more info than that.
My question is pretty basic. Can this increase in speed be due to the V.92 over V.90? If so, I will start upgrading myself and others here to V.92. I would like to just add a modem via USB and recommendations for a modem that can handle poor lines would be appreciated.
BTW, I used to have a cable connect myself, but was disgusted with the ISP and cost so I dropped them.

well, it would normally not be the v.92 that would give a better connect speed. nor would the GTW, however it is possible to recieve a better connection if your ISP has v.92 servers. now, keep in mind that it would drop to v.90 connection for people (like yourself) that had v.90 modems (should anyway, try telling your ISP that the server is config'ed wrong). but i could see it connecting at better speeds, though. you know, the way modems/phone lines/dial-up servers all connecting and making good connections are so damn qurky, you should take your pc down to your neighbor's house and see what your connection is.

plain and simple, different modems will work better useing different phone lines, CPU and servers. that being said, some modems won't even work on some phone lines. why? hell if i know. i have tried installing 3 different modems (and chip sets) on my pc at home and none would connect no matter what. i'd bring it to work and it would connect. for giggles my friend brought over a HSP modem and it worked. thats right, the cheapest and less self reliant modem out there actually worked. go figure.

good luck!

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

I have the gateway v.92 voicemodem in this group. Im having the same problem out of mine that msmindy's customer was having.
of the strings i have tried ive only been able to get
+MS=V34 to do anything
it makes the handshaking time alot less however my computer still only connects at 28,000
any suggestions or am i going to have to settle for that speed.
thanks
Somer

somerinsc:

If disabling v.90 & v.92 on the modem (+MS=v34) works, I'd start looking at phone line issues. When you disable the v9X of your modem, you will not get a connection speed better than 33.6.

One thing I've seen a lot of is people running the phone line through a surge protector (newer ones have the phone jacks in there to "protect" your computer). Some seem to work fine, but the vast majority that I've seen shows that it adds all kinds of fun noise to the line and causes all kinds of headaches. If you have it running through there, take it out! The best hookup you can have is straight from the wall jack to the computer.

i have a gateway pc with a gtw v.92 voicemodem...my question is when it shows that i have an incoming call, if i click the answer button, will it be transmitted thru my speakers and microphone?

I also have trouble with my GTW V92 voicemodem. I use an ICW (internet call waiting) from Bellsouth ($4.95 a month) to see who's calling and have the option to answer or ignore the call. I've been using the ICW for 3 years now. The problem is...when I'm on-line, suddenly an incoming call from my modem pops-up and it says data cannot be put on hold. Sometimes it knocks me off-line automaticly and other times if I ignore it....I can stay on-line. It is not a phone call coming in....it's a bogus pop-up that is really annoying. I never had the problem on my old PC with a V90 modem. I've just had this problem since I got my new Gateway with a V92 modem. I've hounded the heck out of Gateway support and they sent me 2 new modems and they all do the same thing. I also tried modem strings to force V90 and still the same problem. gateway refuses to send me a V90 modem and they don't guarantee any parts that you don't buy from them....go figure. Does anyone in this galaxy have an idea on how I can overcome this problem with the incoming call pop-up? It is not a messaging pop-up from winXp, it's a modem pop-up from GTW. Thanks for your time

Most +ms strings will not work unless you have updated drivers and firmware, i have found that many of my clients can not get past error 678 with Gateway branded modems. the ideal thing to do, would be +ms=v90,0 (assuming they update freq.) but who am i kidding, 96 percernt of my customer base is uneducated or too lazy to learn how to consistantly maintain their computer. so if +ms=v90 wont get them on the net, the basic factory setting AT&F1 might, get the job done, but also might slow your throughput. lowering the recieve buffer will in most cases cancel out the throughput decrease. so the next time you hear someone telling ya to add a +ms command

A voice modem is a modem that is capable of playing and recording audio over a telephone line. While almost all modems are data and fax capable, more and more also have voice capabilities. If your modem supports VOICE, then a "modem wave driver" must be listed in the Windows Device Driver Manager.
so it to answer the question, if all components are installed that are necessary, theoritically speaking, it "should" audio should come through the speakers

Try 50.4=0

This was given to me by a Gateway tech and worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back