Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GTW v.92 voice modem and XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmindy1

ISP
Jan 14, 2003
US
I'm new to this forum and I work for a small ISP. I have a customer with a GTW v.92 voice modem and Windows XP. He can connect but only after several, several attempts. When he tries, it goes through the handshake (it seems like a long time) then comes up with an unusual busy. I've added 4 commas after the phone number, lowered his modem settings, all the usual things. Cannot find any screen shots or init strings to tell me how to possibly disable the v92.

Also, he says that when he does connect, it's very slow.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Great site, btw!!

mindy

Is his modem V.90 compliant?
Are yours?
Do you still maintain a KFlex fallback?
Have you tried putting +MS=K56,0 in his "Extra settings" box?
Have you any idea what driver version/chipset he's using?
In other words, what is a GTW modem? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

It's a Gateway Modem. If that helps answer anything! lol

Yea, I tried the k56,v90 and v34. none of those helped. We still maintain kflex, don't know what chipset he's using tho. I can usually find things on the internet and get these things solved. This one has me befuddled!

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it.

mindy

In August 2001, Gateway started shipping some of their computers with a GTW V.92 PCI Soft Modem. This modem utilizes the BroadCom chipset and would be the "cousin" to the BCM v90 Modem/HPNA Combo Card Gateway was shipping at the beginning of 2001. Gateway customers with these modems appear to be having the same problems that occurred with the original BCM v90 modem that Gateway shipped. These problems include:

Poor v.90 throughput

No v90 connects, not handshaking down to v34 and giving a no answer errors

Dropped connections (v90 or v34) within a few minutes of connecting

Protocol errors upon connection (Windows errors 650, 720, 731 and 645)

From my research into this modem, here's some information to help those that run into problems with this modem.

BroaddCom a broadband network equipment manufacturer much like 3COM/Commworks or Cisco. Broadcom does not have any analog modem information on their web site. This is the first modem Gateway has branded with their name since they stopped shipping the USRobotics x2/v90 modem with the Telepath name. They have even used GTW in the name of the driver files and AT Commandset documentation. Gateway seems to have codenamed this modem Palmer for some reason. This is an AMR modem meaning it either utilizes an AMR slot on the Motherboard or will be built onto the Motherboard itself. This modem is a software modem much like the PCTel HSP, Smartlnk HAMR56, and Lucent AMR SoftModem. This modem appears to have x2/v90 and all v92 all capablities including Modem On Hold (MOH), QuickConnect and PCM Upstream. v44 Data Compression is also included when run in v92 mode. The AT Commandset does not seem to follow the v.250 standard which uses +MS= for changing modulation. It was my impression that all v92 drivers were supposed to conform to this standard. Since this doesn't then the Init Strings to use would be as follows:

Force V34 (disable x2/v90/v92) S50=23 S51=31
Force x2 (disable v90/V92) S50=23 S51=63
Force V90 (disable x2/v92) S50=23 S51=95
Force V92 (disable x2) S50=31 S51=95

where can i find more info about init strings ? AOL Tech

This is such great information. I've tried all 4 of the strings, but they didn't work. Now the guy says that he got on last night with no problem. But during the day the handshake just hangs there and then gets a weird busy signal at the end. He says that his gateway computer is perfectly fine because he did a selftest and it came out alright. It's not in our settings, so I feel it is in the phone line itself. It has been getting colder our way (we're on the east coast of North Carolina) and our phone lines are way less than perfect! ha! They always seem to be weird during changes in temperature. But it was colder during the nighttime hours than during the daytime. I just don't get it.

OH, I just thought of something. He said that the lines were cut a few months ago when they were redoing the road in front of his house, but he has faith that the phone company "spliced" the lines back right!! Sheesh. So I think I have just talked myself through this answer. But he won't beleive me.

Thanks for your help! (I really love this site! I keep it up now all the time and look for things when I need it!)

Mindy

For the person looking for more info on init strings, try these sites:

If at times the connection would go through but not at others, I would try to first connect in "safe mode". That would let you know if a certain program (driver) is stopping that communication. If that doesn't work and the problem is still "up and down" I would say the phone lines would more than likely be the problem.

Useing my post earlier and finding the lastest drivers would be great to do, however it would be almost impossible if he can't get online while being helped. :(

Looks like you've done what you can.

I'm sorry I miss spoke. When I said "safe mode" I meant "Diagnostic Start-up" through msconfig. Sorry about that.

Ivan

Jim,

yes, we did get him working again. My boss went over to his house and looked at it. He said that he added a string from the Gateway site. He said it was hard to find, but it worked. I haven't heard from the customer, so I can only assume that everything is fine now. I'm really surprised that it wasn't the phone line. I had tried every string I could find and the ones here, too! I hate it when that happens, when I try everything and he figures it out in hardly no time at all! lol

Thanks for all your help! Will be calling on you again I'm sure!!

mindy

I just signed on here. Sorry, if I had signed in a few weeks ago, I could have saved you a lot of trouble.

For ALL v.92 modems, use the following string :

+ms=v90,0

For trouble modems, such as this GTW v.92 modem, use :

+ms=v34

Just so you don't think I'm giving you bad inforamtion, I'm a level 2 technician for a Tristate ISP, and have been working this help desk for two years.

I hope this helps anyone else out, who may be having this trouble.

previous post:

"The AT Commandset does not seem to follow the v.250 standard which uses +MS= for changing modulation. It was my impression that all v92 drivers were supposed to conform to this standard. Since this doesn't then the Init Strings to use would be as follows:

Force V34 (disable x2/v90/v92) S50=23 S51=31
Force x2 (disable v90/V92) S50=23 S51=63
Force V90 (disable x2/v92) S50=23 S51=95
Force V92 (disable x2) S50=31 S51=95" "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

If the ISP doesn't support V.92, the modem is supposed to default to V.90
This doesn't always happen, and putting +MS=V34,0 would limit the speed to 33.6k which is NOT what you want on a V.92 modem.
Putting in +MS=V90,0 makes much more sense.
If it doesn't work, then interNETech's post, using S50=23 S51=95 is the way to go. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I have a Gateway computer. It has a BCM v.90 56K modem. The problem I'm having is that it only connects at 26,400. Can anyone help? I have tried increasing the connection speed in the properties area of the modem, that didn't work. I here alot of talk about adding Init Strings. Can someone tell me where exactly these Strings go?

Thanks in Advance.

unless your in 2000 or xp go to modem properties and click the connection tab then click te advanced button. the string should be in "extra settings".

if i were you i'd make sure to have the latest driver for your modem first then call your ISP and ask the type of servers your dailing into.(v.90, v.92, kflex, x2) and base your string on that. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Thanks for the advice. Do you know where I can look for the latest drivers for a BCM v.90 modem and what Strings might help once I find it?

Thanks Again

you would need to go to the gateway website a check there for drivers. they have a program that can check your pc for hardware and tell you exactly what modem drivers to download. as far as strings go try this one: AT+MS=v90

this is suppose to be it but i'd watch out!

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Hello, I am new to this forum and actually found it by doing a search for the GTW v.92 modem. I also work for an ISP and I have a customer who is having trouble with the connection speed. I have tried several different init strings and have had no luck in getting a higher speed than 30666.
I just saw "msmindy1"'s post that her boss had used an init string that had worked. I want to ask do you know what that string was?

Suzie

i doubt a string will help if you're already getting 30.66 connections. is your dail-up server v.90? "Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back