Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

grub config for rh9.0/winxp dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

zngo

Technical User
May 30, 2003
US
I have just installed red hat 9 onto a disk and win xp onto a seperate disk. By the way, i am using GRUB as my boot loader. here is my current cofiguration:

pri-master: red hat 9
pri-slave: windows xp
sec-master: cd-rom
sec-slave: cd-rom

here is my current grub config setup:

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img

------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to know if there is a way i can add windows into the grub menu.

Thanks in advance,
Zach Ngo

Adding these lines should work:
[tt]title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1[/tt]

//Daniel

I added the lines to my /etc/grub.conf file and it shows up in the menu when i boot, but when i select it the following shows up on my display:

Loading "Windows XP"

rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

-------------------------------------------

It seems to have just echoed out what i put in the config file... Do I have to use a special formatting in the /etc/grub.conf file? like use tabs or something?

Thanks,
Zach Ngo

GRUB does print the commands used to boot whatever it's booting, so there's nothing wrong. That just means it interpreted the configuration correctly.
Does [tt]/boot/grub/device.map[/tt] contain an entry for [tt](hd1) /dev/hdb[/tt]? How did you install Windows and RedHat? Does Windows boot if you change the slave drive to master?

//Daniel

I do not have the entry for (hd1) /dev/hdb in my /boot/grub/device.map file. I don't know how to do this. I have windows installed to the entire primary-master disk and the bootloader for windows is obviously still in the mbr. I have red hat 9's partitions consuming the whole primary master disk and the grub bootloader is installed to the mbr on that disk. Yes, i can simply unplug the power supply cable to the primary-master disk (leaving the pri-slave(winxp)) and it will boot into winxp as if the pri-master disk never existed.

Thanks
Zach Ngo

I went ahead and added the line

(hd1) /dev/hdb

to my /boot/grub/device.map file and i rebooted to test it. It did the exact same thing as it did before, printing out "booting 'windows xp'" and then the /etc/grub.conf's entry for title windows xp.

I could simplify my disk setup by saying that (While leaving them in their same pri-master/slave setup) I can uplug either one of the disk's power cables and when then i can boot into that disk's operating system.

I was reading about grub from random sources and i keep coming across a command called "makeactive", do you supposed this can help me?

Also, the hide and unhide seems like it may be able to help. I have no experience with grub at all, that is why everything i say seems so foreign. I hate how I keep coming up with ideas and by posting them, it creates a long mess. Is it possible to chat with you on an im program? My aim sn is "ngozach".

problem fixed. i used justlinux.com's forum system.

Thanks anyways guys.

The solution was to make my winxp disk the pri-master disk and my linux disk the pri-slave. I used to redhat rescue cd to install the grub bootloader to my winxp disk as root.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back