Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

grub - booting Windows 2000 / RedHat Linux 8.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobewins

Programmer
Dec 1, 2005
US
I had put this question on a Windows 2000 Server forum before, but no one can help me. I hope this is the right place this time.

I got the grub message on my Dell SC600, on which I installed RedHat Linux 8.0 over Windows 2000 Server. It had been working perfectly on both Linux and Windows models before I got the “grub” message when I booted the machine. Once “grub” shows on the screen, I can’t do anything.

However, I am able to get into BIOS setting.

By the way, I installed RedHat Linux 8.0, Windows 2000 on two physically separated hard drives.

How can I get the window 2000 work again without losing my applications and files ( I checked that my hard drive for the Windows 2000 is still OK) ? Please help!

Many thanks

Poor David

GRUB is the boot loader for Linux. It should give you an option for booting into Windows.

If you're getting an error message from GRUB it would help to know exactly what the error message is. Or better yet, try copying the error message and pasting it into Google. You will encounter very few errors in Linux that someone hasn't already run into and solved.

Thanks, pentode, for your suggestions. My problem is there isn't any error messages.

When booting, "grub" is the only word showed up after the system check-up. There is nothing I can do after that.

I thought the boot loader is looking for the linux information.

Several options:
1 If you have Windows on a separat disk you could go in to BIOS and set it to boot from the disk with Win on it.
seems like it's booting of the other disk now...

2 You can make a bootdiskett with GRUB on it, and use it to boot the machine.

3 Use a liveCD to boot and repair the GRUB-file. You find it in /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.conf(I think, not sure on RedHat)
:)

Thank you, gerrendre.

1 If you have Windows on a separat disk you could go in to BIOS and set it to boot from the disk with Win on it.
seems like it's booting of the other disk now...

-- I tried this option. My windows sits on F:, but the BIOS doesn't let me to change bootdisk from C: to F: Any idea?

2 You can make a bootdiskett with GRUB on it, and use it to boot the machine.

-- Can you or any one tell me more about this method.

3 Use a liveCD to boot and repair the GRUB-file. You find it in /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.conf

-- Do you mean a Linux resuse disk(?). Not sure if I still have it.
Could you explain a little more.

I will sniff the internet about the grub bootdiskett and the 3rd option too.

Again, thanks for all the input.

David

Most distros now comes in a dual-version. LiveCD with install option.
You boot it of the CD to test how it works on your hardware.
If you like what you see, you can install it to the harddrive.
These LiveCD's like Knoppix, Ubuntu, Suse, DSL etc. can also be used to rescue an broken Linux installation.
Fedora also uses it, put the disk in and boot. At the boot-prompt write linux rescue and hit enter.
It will ask a few simple questions, and mount your harddrives in a temp location. From there you can access the Filesystem and make a Grub recovery.
You should end up with issuing a command like:
If it is the first BIOS drive

# grub-install '(hd0)'

Hope this helps
:)

By F:, I'll assume that it's the slave drive on the second IDE channel.

Most BIOS that I've seen lately give the option for HDD0, HDD1, etc. Is yours different? If not, try the other settings. Sometimes the physical address for the drive isn't what it appears in the BIOS. Not that you have one, but I have an additional IDE controller. My BIOS sees it as a SCSI device for the boot sequence.

Also, if grub was installed on the master boot record of the windows drive...boot to a floppy (or windows cd) and type fdisk /mbr. That will replace the master boot record of the windows drive. As a precaution, I'd disconnect the linux drive first.

Mark

Thanks, every one. I will try them.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back