Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Growing a tree -- NICI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pray11342

Technical User
Apr 26, 1999
US
I want to install a Netware 6.5 SBS server into my existing tree.

The only server in the tree is the old 5.0 SP6 server, which is going to go away after moving files and services to the new server. I have upgraded the NDS on the tree so I can install the server

Deployment manager says "Check for existence of security-related objects and establish the proper eDirectory rights for creation and operation of the CA."
Also, "If the KAP container or the W0 object does not exist, the installation of the first NetWare server will create them."

In the current tree, there is no Security container. I find no KAP container or W0 object. I suspect that we have never installed NICI on the server or the tree. Also a search for the NICISDI.KEY file turns up nothing.

I downloaded TID 10053572, How to restore or recreate KAP and W0 objects if deleted. Also got TID 10066559, Layman's Guide to NICI. These tell me that a messed up NICI installation can cause bad things to happen.

From this, I checked to see what is actually running on the 5.0 Server. All the Netware NICI modules listed in the Layman's guide are loaded, except NICISDI.NLM. The TID says they are loaded at startup. NICISDM.NLM is supposed to be loaded from AUTOEXEC.NLM, it is not. SASDFM.NLM is loaded from AUTOEXEC, "Added by NICI 1.5.4 Install"

AFAIK, we have no software or services that use encryption, unless Groupwise 5.5 uses it.

Now for the $64 question. Do I need to struggle with upgrading or installing NICI on the 5.0 Server before adding the 6.5 Server to the tree?

Or, if I install the new server and configure NICI on it, will it qualify as the "the installation of the first NetWare server?"

I assume that it will be easier to let Netware take care of it on the new server during install. If it installs it correctly to the tree, then I will have the newer version by default, seems to me.

Any thoughts or pointing out "gotchas" greatly appreciated.

Paul Ray

Programming Languages -- .BAT Files

Preffered editor -- EDLIN

Paul, it's not uncommon to have a scenario like yours.. Just do your NEtware 6.5 installation and let it create the security objects you need. It shouldn't have any problem doing it. If there are any issues, there are plenty of ways to get it straigthened around later.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks Marv,

I suspected that was the case.I will get on with it this evening.

I am a little jumpy about this because --

1) I have little experience with multi server installations. All my trees are bonsai. [tongue]

2) The backup tape is inop. The version of BackupExec that supports Netware 5.0 does not support the new tape drive that I am installing on the new server.

Right now if I do anything I am nervous about, I down the server, disconnect one of the mirrored drives, and re-mirror after everthing is OK. Been backing up data to workstation drives, but losing the Netware would still be a major hassle.

When I get the new server up, I will install the new BackupExec, with the capability to back up to another drive. Then I possibly will get a little braver.

Meanwhile, I appreciate the help you guys give me here.

Paul Ray

Programming Languages -- .BAT Files

Preffered editor -- EDLIN

Generally if you are installing another server into an existing tree, there is no reason to be concerned about lost data. Even if the install completely blows up, your NDS on the original server should still be intact. Maybe a little cleanup will be required, but nothing you can't recover from.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back