Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GroupWise to Exchange 2003 migration and co-existence

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbilek

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2004
SE
Hi there,

We are currently planning for a migration to Microsoft and MSX2003. While we perform this phased migration we intend to keep users running novell and Groupwise enabled for email thru the existing email solution with Groupwise 5.5.

At the same time we will in a phased project move users over to AD and MSX2003.

Problem: How can we still point all incoming email to the companys abcd.com email domain, which points to the Groupwise server, but make it forward emails to users in the Exchange server as they have been moved?
Can the Groupwise server act as main mailserver for this domain, and forward emails of users that have been migrated?

And how do we integrate the Exchange users during the migration phase with the adress book in Groupwise and vice versa?
Is there a connector that we can use?

Appreciate your help!
Joe

would imagine you are better to post in the exchange forum

most of us here would traditionally migrate the other way - ie lose the exchange and convert to groupwise

address book wise - novell does have a exchange gateway that does allow exchange users to see the address books and vice versa - not sure if it's on 2003 though

I did this from GW5.5 to Exchange 2000 a while ago and it worked fine. I don't know how different 2003 is.

I used the Microsoft gateway (don't remember what it was called) which went through the GW API gateway to sync users & addresses.

The main thing was to have all incoming mail go to Exchange first. Otherwise the "from" addresses got munged during the API->Exchange conversion.

We are about to embark on this same endeavor. From reading various posts in this forum and the Exchange 2003 forum, it seems that the third party Exchange migration tool from Wingra is the way to go. Read through their Admin Guide's first chapter. They present their solution to same exact questions that you have posed.

I am hoping to post a detailed summary of how things go with this migration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back