Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise Gwia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luist

Technical User
Dec 5, 2003
US
The Gwia is running remote from the post office, on Novell 6.0 OS. The Gwia is 6.0.3. the problem is the Gwia keeps shutting down and staying in memory. I can restart the gwia from the console, but I will have multiple Gwia.NLM Load. any help is appreciated.

firstly why is it shutting down?

if it's unloading can you check what grpwise nlm's are still loaded - ir gwenn etc

turn diagnostic logging on as well
see what it's logging

I check to see if all modules are loaded. The Gwia.nlm is still loaded, but the gwia screen is gone. I'm running the Gwia in verbosa and checking the log files. One message was " file write error on file acct in module gwacct. During the boot-up process of the server it will indicate that their is something wrong with the swap files, and several other files. On the main server that house the post office, I notice a panic message that said. Panic: s/g elements is greater than local max sg space. I have look for answers at the Novell site at no avial. Now the gwia will run good for 5 to 6 hours and then it will just down.

do you have lots of messages stuck in the gwia directories

you first message about swap etc worries me - what files are missing - swap i can live with

check the console.log and check errors

the gwia should be bulletproof - should stay up no probs
we only touch ours when it's sp time

The message about the swap files is that is too long(if that make sense to you). The things that i cannot figure out is the console.log those no indicate if their a problem. Maybe i need to send the log file to Novell and see if they can figure this thing out. the swap file is

_swap_.mem

The errors you mention on bootup worry me.

Are you on SP3? And have you applied NW6NSS3C.EXE patch? I'm assuming your volumes are NSS ones.. correct? Do you have the latest drivers for your drive controllers? And Bios patches if applicable?

I would make sure you have SP3 and then do a NSS /POOLVERIFY to make sure the integrity of your pools are good. Rebuild them if any problems.

Also turn of file caching and oplocking. there are tids to help you with this.

Also run COMPFIX.NLM after the patches and make sure you have no corrupt compressed files on your volumes.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Marvin,

Yes the lates patch are install, and the server have the most updated drivers. I will look at the TDs concering the file caching and oplock, before i do anything else.

Luis

Give this a try, enter "swap delete VOLUME" then "swap add VOLUME" command at the server console.

Also do the integrity check Marv suggests

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [santa][xmastree]
Senior Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back