Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise GWIA 421 Service Not Available Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaharoff

MIS
Oct 21, 2002
US
I'm using Groupwise 6.5 with Support Pack 3 on Netware 5.1 with Support Pack 7. The GWIA is reporting 421 service no available errors on all deferred messages. If the message doesn't have a problem sending the first time it works fine. Any message coming from the DEFER folder is producing the 421 error

Hi,

Can't tell for sure without knowing more details about your system but I have seen this before, specifically when GWIA was set up to use a relay host for outbound mail. The issue was actually at that host instead of GWIA, as confirmed by having GWIA send direct to Internet.

If you are using a relay host, try setting GWIA to direct and see if the DEFER messages start processing normally.

gwexpertslogo.jpg

Gioffre Consulting
Check out our Novell Training Cruises

Thanks for the response. There is no relay in use. The GWIA sends directly out. What other information would you need? I'll be glad to post it.

are the deferred messages all going to a certain domain or some subset of email domains? And the rest of your mail goes out fine?
I'm curious bc you can get 421 errors if your gwia does not have a PTR/reverse-DNS record set up and the receiving server at the distant end is doing reverse lookups as part of an anti-spam config.

ITsmyfault,

You're right on target, but about ten days too late. I had turned on Verbose logging and noticed that the messages were getting rejected from other email servers and then the 421 would be displayed. What's very interesting is that I've been working with Groupwise for 8 years and never seen the 421 error. When I went to Novell's site it had basically nothing on 421, which was really irregular. It is very rare when I submit an issue at their site and get in return nothing usable.

You know your Groupwise. Where do you do your Groupwising?

Sorry I was late.. some days/weeks I have more time to post than others.. Just had the 421 issue here, so it was fresh in my mind. ;) AOL as part of their new config has just started doing reverse DNS lookups and I missed that bit of the config when I built our new GWIA last year.. so suddenly over the past 10 days or so we had more and more problems sending to AOL.com I'm in Stamford CT. We've been running GW since 5.1, now we're on 6.5.3 running clustered in protected memory. I should know a lot more than I do for the # of years I've been around it! ;)
Glad you solved your problem! That's the main thing..

2 indispensible sites for solving email issues:
dnsreport.com
dnsstuff.com

and of course we all have our agents set to "verbose" logging right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back