Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise --> Exchange 03 migration - help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2003
AP
Dear all,

I'm currently planning for a Groupwise 6.0 to Exchange 2003 migration. I have an Exchange 2003 SP2 box running as the production box. I have also installed a bridgehead Exchange server that I'll be running the migration on and which has the Groupwise connector on it.

I have configured the Groupwise connector and directory synchronisation from Groupwise is running well (it has created all of the contacts within AD).

However when I run the migration wizard, it gives me the error "You have not selected a valid Novell Groupwise Domain". I'm using exactly the same Groupwise domain path that I used for the Groupwise <--> Exchange connector.
Is that the problem? Am I supposed to use a different format for the path used in the migration wizard?

For example, for the connector configuration I have used the path of \\(GW_SERVER)\VOL1\grpwise\(GW_DOMAIN)\wpgate\API
and that works fine.

For the migration wizard, I've tried many different variations but I believe the path should be \\(GW_SERVER)\VOL1\grpwise\(GW_DOMAIN)

but it does not work.

Could anyone offer some help please?

Thanks and Regards,

SilentRain

PS: I have tried a search yet no thread has ever dealt with this problem. Microsoft themselves are looking into the problem but are even finding it difficult! It seems to me to be something simple - syntax, or wrong domain path etc?

How big a migration are you looking at here? I am looking into a quite large migration myself and will be using a 3rd party tool called "Wingra" (from Quest software) as a gateway for the 2 systems. It looks very good and comes recommeded from MS here in Australia. It would work for smaller environments also.

Maybe you need to use this?

Goodluck

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

Hi Andreh,

Thanks for the reply - I actually found the problem.

I did not have the appropriate permissions on the GW Domain folder, so that the relevant folders did not appear.

See, the company I'm working for do not own/operate the GW box (we're migrating away from them after sharing the infrastructure). Although I'd given all instructions and checked time and time and time again whether the migration account had the correct permissions with the GW admins - they were incorrect!

It's only a small migration - 90 users. I've already tested the migration of a few boxes and it has so far gone pretty well.

I think the key is to have an intermediate server that you migrate the mailboxes to. Then move the mailboxes from the intermediate Exchange server to the production server.

This way you don't need to screw up the production box with the NDS client/Groupwise client etc.

Wingra has had lots of praise though I must add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back