Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GroupWise and Outlook working together (yeah right!) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alastor

MIS
Aug 27, 1998
US
Does anyone know of a way to integrate MS Outlook and Novell GroupWise? Everything on the MS site says it ain't happening and Novell doesn't really say anything about it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

You should be able to use MAPI to access the GW msg store. As far as other features like the calendar, etc. I don't know. Make sure you have installed the Windows Messagin subsystem, then reinstall GW. I know this works, I've done it. I also undid it because it caused more confusion for the end users than good.

I would wonder why anybody would want to do such a thing. Both provide essentially the same functionality, as far as the end user is concerned. receiving e-mail should be easy to set up, buy I don't have any experience with the calendar or forms management function.

The reason I want to do this is because I have users requesting to be able to use the Outlook Contacts function with their GroupWise. Also I hoping it will allow users to send e-mail through mail links instead of having to copy the address down which I have also had several requests for.

The free outlook add on that Novell is coming out with will fix this. I saw it at brainshare and it works great. It transfers all groupware items between the client and the PO (notes, tasks, appointments and mail)Only drawbacks are, you cannot use the outlook client remotely and connect to GW, and the journal in outlook does not transfer to GW. It is in BETA now, and should be out by June.

Great! Thanks for the info. This will really help.

Falcon1: Can you give me more info on the Brainshare patch? I tried to find it on the net and couldn't...Got an addy for it? It would be greatly appreciated!

lexus: that is because the update is not yet in production. When I saw it at brainshare, it was in version 3 beta. it worked great though. There have been several press releases on it. You might to do some searching on Novell's site, and they might have some info. I would expect to see it released by june 1. Since it will be free and available you can bet that if you have GW and you have users who like outlook that it will infiltrate your site quickly. I suggest keeping your eye on thier site for when it is available, and then learning it well. Before those users start calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back