Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise and Anti-Virus/Anti-Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmattson

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
US
We are in the pre-planning stage of a new Groupwise installation. I am looking for some recommendations on what Anti-Virus & Anti-Spam application(s) to use for/with Groupwise.

TIA

We use GWAVIX and are pretty happy with it. Very low administrative overhead.

We use GWAVA with McAfee on our GroupWise server. No problems. Of course, it's out second line of defense. Our first line of spam/virus defense is a Barracuda. Works GREAT! Between the Barracuda & GWAVA, we haven't had a virus infestation in over a couple years.

Ron

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?” ~ Mevlana Rumi

Do you live in Michigan? Join us in the Tek-Tips in Michigan forum.

I used to use GWAVA but got tired of managing my spam so I decided to outsource spam management.

Groupwise 6.5
Symantec AV Corp Edition 10

Tamra Graver --CNA, Network+
It is my job to comfort the disturbed
and disturb the comfortable..........

We use a hardware appliance called IronPort, and that works very well, is easy to manage, and replaces our GW server as the primary MX. We've seen a major reduction in our incoming SPAM since we implemented it.

Used to use Gwava and others at different times. Currently use an appliance called Interceptor from Espion. Very pleased with it's abilities and low maintenance effort required from inhouse IT staff.

We have had huge success with the Barracuda as the mail relay between my ISP and my GWIA. Out of the box 60% reduction of SPAM even when we were using GWAVA and GUINEVERE. Both very time comsuming but the Barracuda like the two beginfinite solutions, you have to manually import the filters. Damn SpamAssassin. You get a thrity-day free trial. Some other modificaitons on your firewall also help a lot.

Brian Hughes
Network Administrator
A+,MCP,MCSE2000,MCDBA200,CNA 5.1/6/6.5

I withdraw my advocacy of GWAVIX. They came out with a new version that stinks on toast.

I am currently testing GroupWise 7 on an SLES 9 server. What would be my best option for AV on this system. I have VirusScan 8 Enterprise already running on my network, can I use this?

You will have to use LinuxShield from McAfee for AV for the SUSE box. Are you using ePO?

Brian Hughes
Network Administrator
A+,MCP,MCSE2000,MCDBA2000,CNA 5.1/6/6.5

I personally prefer a solution that doesn't run on the same box, so it's completely independent and doesn't bog down the system.

We are partners with Gwava, Messaging Architects, and Astaro. Of the three that I have used and tested extensively, I prefer GWGuardian from Mess. Architects. The downside right now is that it requires Windows to run, which is an oxymoron if you think about it. But they are releasing a Linux based version soon which is having a dangling carrot effect on us.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

ePO can manage the linux shield as well. Now you just need to know what you want to scan. LinuxShield will do the server and maybe some email but only solutions from beginfinite or messaging architects can effectively scan your groupwise system. There are whole suites that scan GWIA, POA, WebAccess etc. My suggestion would be to look at hardware appliances at the edge to filter all the crap before it gets to the GroupWise system and if you still feel unprotected then secure the POA. Hope that helps!

Brian Hughes
Network Administrator
A+,MCP,MCSE2000,MCDBA2000,CNA 5.1/6/6.5

So I've been looking at GWAVA. What are everyone's opinions on it and what have you paid for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back