Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise 7 beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beta client doesn't connect to an older server (even 6.5) and I've been trying over the last few days to get a beta server up and running without upgrading my current setup, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet. I didn't see anything earth-shattering in the new client, but then I had to uninstall it right away because it didn't connect to my server.

check ngw list archive for notes on how to hit a demo webaccess server (webacc is much improved) the 7 client can be run standalone IIRC or put an archive or caching box on a test PC to run the 7 client against. Only install issues I am hearing about are related to windows messaging not being there (on XP for ex)
The new win32 client has a lot of nice new stuff, esp new calendering features (custom categories, color coded, shared cal features too) and a "today" view that is kinda outlook-esque. The Win32 client has a customizable interface which will do what you want to do with it.. or the client can be made to look like 6.5 if you prefer.
They're definitely doing a lot of work to make the end user experience better, which is welcome.
Last but not least, there is a new outlook connector coming which captures OL2k & 2k3 MAPI calls and converts them to GW calls so you can run that 'other' client if you must. Any feature with GW system parity will basically work (don't look for exchange features like journalling or public folders though). This is much the same thing that Domino has also done.. they're both looking to capture Exch 5.5 shops which are eager to lose NT4 but don't want the expense and hassle of the MSFT upgrade but also might have a rebellion if they lose the OL client that folks are so used to..
it will be interesting to see how that goes. Domino and GW both run on SuSE linux too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back