Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise 5.5 upgrade to Groupwise 6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

graver

MIS
Nov 6, 2000
US
Okay, so I have been researching the best way to go about this upgrade process and have come up with the following upgrade path.

1. Install Netware 6.5 patched on the (Groupwise Server) from scratch
2. Add a replica to the GW server
3. Copy all GW files (PO) and (domain) from the old GW server to the new box
4. In place upgrade 5.5 to 6.5
5. Run DB Maintenance

I after doing a lot of reading on google and Novell's website I still have a few questions.

1. If I install a test server into my tree copy my existing 5.5 files over to the test server and do a practice upgrade am I going to hork up my existing gw system? I want to make sure before doing anything.

2. Have any of you all been successful upgrading GW this way?

3. What should I pay the most attention to while doing this process?

If you have any advice or comments please lemme know. I want this whole process to go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks In Advance.

Tamra Graver --CNA, Network+
It is my job to comfort the disturbed
and disturb the comfortable..........

in answer to #2, yes, we did this exact process. One hitch though, when we were done our wphosts.db file was of zero length (it was there, but it wouldn't open). Grabbed a copy off the old 5.5 server, put in place, happiness all over.

It took much longer to do the copy than anything else. Just be sure you use xcopy or ncopy with all subdir switches.

You don't mention what version of NetWare DS your tree is. If you're putting a 6.5 server into a 5.0 tree, get some tranquilizers 'cause you'll need 'em.

Your best bet is to get a copy of "GroupWise 6.5 Upgrade Guide" by Tay Kratzer & Danita Zanre from Caledonia Network Press. ( It is the best documentation I have ever found. My upgrade went like a breeze.

Cheers,

Mark ;-)

yep that is a good guide , cheap and download as a pdf

the upgrade is simple , just get the client bit correct

Cool I will check out that guide. Thanks for all the responses to my question. I have one more question though. My users have archives set up on the server (GW 5.5) What do I need to do to upgrade them to 6.5 so they can still access the files?

Tamra Graver --CNA, Network+
It is my job to comfort the disturbed
and disturb the comfortable..........

nothing

archives will be ok
when the user opens mail with new client it will update the db and archive is fine

I am facing the same issue of moving my GroupWise 5.5 to a new server and upgrade it.I have an old box that does not meet the requirements for GW 6.5.
So,can anyone highlight the steps they have taken to accomplish this task.
Thanks.

same as above

swap the server first
i use the migration wizard (7.02 seems quite good)
this will give you a fresh server but with same name and ds etc in tact
you still need to install the agents and other products though
once you have done this do as above

it's quick and easy

As far as the archive problem...
We had everybody archiving to a mapped drive on the old server. Built new server, copied GW over, upgraded in place. Changed archive drive mapping to point to the new server. No problems at all.

In fact, our GW5.5 to GW6.5 upgrade was about the easiest upgrade I've ever done. Piece of cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back