Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

groups strategies/DNS/DHCP problem.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ju

Technical User
Jul 4, 2000
FR
I'm smiling in the subject of this thread because it's quite a lot of problems and it's starting to give me some hard-time.

What I want is "just" to be able to apply group strategies in my active directory. For now it doesn't work.

Here is my network:

I have a linux machine which is handling my internet connection (ADSL). It has the Ip 192.168.0.254 on local and a static Ip on internet.

I have set up all the windows 2000 (client and server) to use this gateway(192.168.0.254)

I have a windows 2000 server which has ip 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.254 and primary DNS 192.168.0.1 (when I put this it doesn't have internet and when I put my ISP's DNS internet works)
Active directory is installed on it, DHCP and DNS also.

My huge problem is how to configure DNS: I have set up in direct lookup "mydomain.com" (with under "name servers": "myserver.mydomain.com" and its IP 192.168.0.1)
I also configured "." the same

I configured the reverse lookup with 192.168.x.x ...

The rest of the network is based on windows 2000 clients getting everything (normally) via DHCP (DNS(don't know what to send...tried DNS from my ISP (then internet works on client) and 192.168.0.1(win2000server the DNS server doesn't work with internet I think they should be getting the 192.168.0.1 adress), IP and gateway (192.168.0.254))

For the Group strategies I think I have done everything right... I have created a group of users and computers and added them to the group strategies with read and apply strategies. I have put these groups under the OU I want the strategies to be applied to.

To resume I think my entire problem is with DNS configuration...

I hope you can help me,

Thank you very much :)

Julien Niedergang

in your DNS,
remove the . zone, reboot the Win2K server
go to the properties and add a forwarder : fill in the IP address of your ISP's DNS server

WHen your clients try to resolve an internet name, your local DNS server will connect to the internet ISP DNS server and reply with the IP address...

(assuming that this is what you want to do...) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

wowowo! :)

I guess this is the exact answers I am looking for.

Actually my Group Strategies were working when I was using my DHCP+DNS configuration I mentioned before.
(when I do "secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy /enforce" on server and clients)

Indeed my only problem was to get with that configuration the possibility to browse internet.

Thank you very much for your answers, it helped me to make it work AND understand what I was doing ;)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back