Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groups and subgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

imstuck

MIS
Sep 27, 2000
US
I am trying to create a report that counts the number of records for a particular category and type, but also gives me a total for the category itself and then at the end a grand total.

Example:

Cat 1 Type A 5
Cat 1 Type B 2
Cat 1 Type C 9

Category 1 total 16

Cat 2 Type X 3
Cat 2 Type Y 6
Cat 2 Type Z 4

Category 2 total 13

Grand Total 29

I'm having trouble with my groupings. I have the report sorted by category, then type and I have a field in the detail section called recordcount with a controlsource of =1. I placed a text field in the type footer with a controlsource of recordcount so the totals for the types work. But I can't get the totals for the categories to work.

Is there a way to handle that? Thanks! [sig][/sig]

If you look at the properties of the RecordCount field, you probably have RunningSum set to OverGroup. If you create another textbox and set its RunningSum to OverAll, that should do it.

Check out "Running Sum Property" and "Example of a report that calculates running sums"

Hope that helps. [sig]<p>Kathryn<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Thanks Kathryn--I've read the running sum help several times--I need a two running totals one for each &quot;group&quot;. Setting the Running sum property to Over All would give me total for all the groups combined instead of separately, wouldn't it? I need to summarize types and then categories and then get a grand total for all. I can get the types summarized, and a grand total but then I can't get the categories summarized. [sig][/sig]

Can you sum the type in the underlying query, or do you need details? This would enable you to sum the values for each type within a category. In fact the report wizard will do this pretty easily, but again, that assumes you have an underlying query that groups on category and Type and counts the records.

Don't worry, what you want is very doable, [sig]<p>Kathryn<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back