Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grouping twice on the same formula field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
US
I have created a report in 9.0. Works fine. I have to convert this report to 8.5. I am recreating it in 8.5.
we are using an access database.

I have grouped a formula field @DOM by specific amounts using a specified order. Works O.K. Now I need to group the same formula field by descending order. For some reason it won't allow me to create the second group.

My question is this. Is there something in 8.5 that will not allow me to group twice on the same field? Do I need to do something different?

Any help would be great.

You could create the same formula again under a different name and group by it.

Can you provide a little more information? What is the content of {@DOM}? You can't simultaneously have two orders for the same field--are you trying to allow the user to choose the order in which they would like to view the data?

-LB

@dom is a calculation of the current date minus a date field to get the number of days they have had a listing.

In 9.0 it worked this way. First I grouped this field to include 180 days or more, 120 to 179 days, 119 to 80 days and 80 or less days.
Then I group this field in descending order. It worked.
THis is how my report would look.

180 days or more
120 to 179 days
119 to 80 days
under 80 days

It worked that way in 9.0.
I can't get the second grouping in to sort in descending order uner the first group heading.

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to do this,

What happens when you try and create the 2nd group using your formula field ?

Is the formula field available in the dorp down list ?

Are any errors generated ?

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

The formula field is available but when I press that field it doesn't let me go any further. I cannot choose a sort and there is no OK available. I must exit out.

Have you tried creating the same formula again under a different name and grouping the second time by it?

Or just sorting that second time by the date field?

Create a 2nd formula containing th elogic for your first group.

//@Group1
If {@dom} >= 180 Then
'180 days or more'
Else if {@dom} >= 120 Then
'120 to 179 days
etc...

First group on @Group1 Then group on @dom

If this doesn't work then there must be something about the report or formulas you aren't telling us.

HTH

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

I did create a formula for the second group using a different name and it worked.
Still can't figure out why it worked in 9.0 and not in8.5.

Thanks for all you help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back