Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grouping tables (and queries) in a single database

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbar

Technical User
May 15, 2003
US
I have many tables and queries (hundreds) in a single database (all using the same source data).

Is there a way to group the tables and queries within the database (like in a file - folder system)? I currently use naming conventions that allow me to keep track of the tables and queries (i.e., keep them in order). There must be a better way.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Tim Barbour

liberal use of {F1} topic is split (database). The general recommendation is to keep TABLES seperate from all else.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Access 97 doesn't have anything that allows for grouping of objects (tables, queries, etc). However, if you have Access 2000 or later version, it comes with the capability to create any number of groups.

Rob

Thanks for your input. I do have Access 2000. I have not worked with Groups before. I'll try it. I want to be able to "group" tables and queries into "groups (like a Windows file/folder structure), instead of keeping all of the tables and queries under the main tabs "tables" and "queries."

Although I haven't tried it yet (groups per you sugestion), I will soon. Is it just a matter of creating a group and moving exsiting tables and queries to the newly created group??

Thanks for your advise. This could help the organization in my databases significantly.

Tim Barbour

On the left hand pane, you should see Objects (Tables, Queries, etc) and then Groups. To add a new group, place your mouse on that left pane, then right click and select New Group. Once the group is added, you can drag whatever object (table, query, form, report, etc) to the group. This creates a link in the Group to the associated object, rather than actually moving it. Therefore, you can still see it in the Tables tab. Also, if you delete it from the Group, you're only deleting the link, not the actual table itself.

Rob

Thanks. I've figured out. Very simple. Understand. Thanks again. Will use in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back