Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grouping Problem for Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooterr

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
How do I group by a project on my Report and show all the employees that are working on it.

---tbl---
project
employee

sample data
billing Williams
billing Anderson
Payments Smith
Payments Andrews

How do I get my report to show the following or something similar.
--
Project Billing
Employee Williams
Anderson

Rather than
--
Project Billing
Employee Williams
Project Billing
Employee Anderson

thanks in advance

Sounds to me like your category header on yuor report is incorrect. Open your report in design mode and look for a section called category header. If you don't see one, click view -> sorting and grouping and add the [project] field in. Make sure the group header is set to yes in this window. Then close it. You should now see the category header section.

Make sure you have the category field and the label for the category field in this section. That will create only one visible occurance of the cotegory in the report.

If you need more help or more explaination, please let me knwo. Programming isn't a profession of choice.
It's a profession of calling...
"Hey Programmer, your application broke again!" [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
robert.l.johnson.iii@citi.com

I just realized that I didnt explain this in enough detail the problem is that not only do I need to show projects, but also the associated steps. I was able to get my report to group by project the way you showed and list the employee, but when I added in project steps it replicates each step for each employee. Is there any way that I can get my report to look like the following

Project Billing
Employee Williams
Smith
Steps Receive order
update BMS
print labels
mail bill

Are the steps dependent on the Project? Do they change? Does the user need to check them off?

If they are dependent on the project, why not just display them in the Category Footer? This would only be once per category.

This would be something like:
Category Billing
Employee Williams
Emplyee Anderson
Steps
Receive order
update BMS
print labels
mail bill Programming isn't a profession of choice.
It's a profession of calling...
"Hey Programmer, your application broke again!" [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
robert.l.johnson.iii@citi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back