Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grouping Order 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricMa

Technical User
Aug 10, 2000
US
I have created a group and individuals who do not meet criteria for the group are listed at the top of the report. Is there a way to move this section to the bottom? Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, the main sections in any report (Report Header, Page Header, Details, Report Footer, and Page Footer) have fixed locations in the report. As for any Group, it would be located between the Page Header and the Report Footer. You can not remove a group from that fixed location between those two sections. You can use the pulldown menu Insert -> Section to help in choosing the properties for each section as well as adding, deleting, or merging sub-sections in groups.
I hope that would help. :)

If you didn't want to include them at all you could do something in the select expert so that criteria <> those who do not meet the criteria.

I realize this is not what you are asking, but thought this might help you come up with a different type of solution.

Thanks for all of the responses. I may not have stated the problem correctly. If I am grouping by state, I see a section for Alaska, Alabama, etc. However, if no state is available, it lumps these people into the first Drill Down section. Is it possible to this &quot;section&quot; of the group down to the bottom of the Group?

If I understand you correctly, you want the people who are not assigned to any state to be grouped at the end of the report. To be more precise, those people would be displayed in the last group in the report? Please write more details. I hope I would help.

Thanks for the help. As requested, here is some more information.

Here is a lay out of the report:

Mrs. Jones
Mr. Carl
AZ
Mr. James
CA
Mrs. Smith
CT
Ms. Allen

The names are in the details section.
The state is in the group header.
The first two names have no state associated with them and I would like these names to fall at the bottom of the reoprt, rather than the begining.

The people who are stateless likely have either a null value for the state, or an empty string.
What you could do is create a formula field for sorting on, instead of using the state value.

WhileReadingRecords ;
StringVar SortState
If IsNull({State}) then SortState := 'ZZZ'
Else If Trim({State}) = &quot;&quot; then SortState := 'ZZZ'
Else SortState := {State}

Save this formula, and then change the group by {state} to group by {@SortState}.
This will put all those lost people at the bottom of the report.

Another option would be in the Insert -> Group you can sort in specified order. this is nice for smaller groups. I admit that this will be a little more trouble with 50 states, but an option none the less.

Thanks to everyone who responded. You're suggestions were very helpful. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back