Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grouping on Different Data Types 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

groasa

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
CR 8.5, SQL db, Pivotal (CRM) front end.
I have a Sales Opportunity report that I'm working on now that is driving me bonkers.

My goal is to give the user the choice to sort either by Account Manager (String) or Date (Date). If AM is chosen group by AM and sort by Date Descending. If Date is chosen, group by Date Descending printed for each month.

I've tried using the AM as Group 1 and Date as Group 2 and conditionally suppressing depending on the paramater. However, when I choose Date, it still groups by AM first.

At this moment, I've changed the report so there is only Group1 based on a formula, but since I have to turn the Date to text, it sorts the dates in Alpha order.

If {?SortOrder} = 1
Then {Employee.Account Manager Code}
Else If {?SortOrder} = 2
Then (MonthName(Month({Opportunity.Expected Decision Date})) + " " + ToText(Year({Opportunity.Expected Decision Date}),0,""))

I'm at a loss on which way to go to get the report grouped and sorted the way they want. Group by formula? Conditionally suppress? Both? Neither?!?!?!

~glenda

Create a sub-report for each and show whichever one in the main report based on a parameter response.

Glenda

Change your grouping formula to this

......Then ToText(Year({Opportunity.Expected Decision Date}),0,""))+ "/"+ (totext(Month({Opportunity.Expected Decision Date}),"00",0,"")

This will produce 2004/06 and thus group in correct date order. The additional argument "00" forces it to display a number with two digits using leading zeros as required.

If this is not acceptable in display then create another formula based upon your original, and place this in your group header. Date will then appear as Jun 2004.

Ian Waterman
UK Crystal Consultant

Try changing your Grouping formula to this:
[tt]
if {?SortOrder} = 1 then
{Employee.Account Manager Code}
else if {?SortOrder} = 2 then
totext(year({Opportunity.Expected Decision Date})*100 + Month({Opportunity.Expected Decision Date}),0,"")
[/tt]
To display the Group Name in the Group Header, set up the group option to 'Use a Formula as Group Name', and use the formula you're currently trying to use for grouping.

-dave

Thanks for the quick response!! I'm going to try grouping formula first and see if that's acceptable for everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back