Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grouping in a Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakleaf8

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
US
Is it possible to group in a form? As an example, look at Tek-Tips FAQ page: It's records (the 'FAQs') are grouped by 'FAQ Category' (in the light blue band). All 'FAQs', all 'Categories' are shown.

I wish to create a form to do something very similar to this. It is not editing or adding fields in any table, just presenting a specific text data field that I wish to click on to view detailed record info, very similar to clicking on a 'FAQ Title' in the Tek-Tips FAQ page example. It's header will have filtering buttons.

Thanks!

Grouping(crating groups) on a form is not possible. You can filter the data. If you want the data show as FAQ are then why not a report?
See a sample of filtering here
named.
Access and SQL Part 6: Dynamic Reports

I have the filter already created. I prefer to keep the filter on the same object that I have the data. It's cleaner and a bit sexier.

Unless someone has an answer I'll keep the field I want to group on with the same line/record as the other data and sort on it. It just looks very redundant and it would seem to me there would be an easy way to do this.

Thanks.

That's currently how I have the form set up, but not what I'm looking to do Zameer, that's why the post. I guess the answer is "You can't group in any way in forms".

Another interesting thing is that in Forms "acNormal" view it appears that Can Grow even when set to "Yes" still does not allow fields to grow vertically. It allows it in "acPreview" though, but this does me no good as I have buttons in the form.

Oh well, unless I'm missing something guess I'm out of luck. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back