Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

grouping based on 1 character

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobear

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
US
I am trying to set up a report that groups records according to the first letter of the category and provides a subtotal. For example, I have many different categories to choose from but each has a prefix like A100, A200, A300, B100, B200, B300.

Currently my report can group according to the entire category name and give me subtotals, but what I want it to do is group all the "A"s together and all the "B"s together and provide subtotals for each group. Any suggestions?
mobear

Perhaps you could create a new field that automatically parses the first letter from your original field. Then base your grouping on the parsed information?

The first user that responded was correct, but didn't know how to do what he was suggesting. If you create a calc field with the Left (fild,1) function, then you will have the 'new' field to perform a sub-summary on. You will also need a summary field for the total, and remember that sorts are very important for sub-summary reports to work correctly.

If you need help with this, please let me know. I am a proferssional FileMaker developer and I do this stuff in my sleep.

Thanks,

Joe King
joe@svkingpen.com
949-278-4843

svkingpen & keiem,

Thanks for your help, worked like a charm.

mobear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back