Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group within Top N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2001
US
I have a report that uses top N to order individuals by total amounts. Is there a further way of grouping these individuals by ranges like this

$1,000 - $2,499
$2,500 - $4,999
$5,000 - $9,999

in order to count the number of individuals that fall within each range? The $ amounts are already a summary and can't be counted.

What i'd do is make a new field, using a formula, test the value of the $ field and give it a new value. (eg if $1,000 - $2,499 then 1 or if $2,500 - $4,999
then 2 and so on. Then you can group by and count this field ....

:)

Unfortunately, as I said, the dollar amounts for each person are a sum of amounts not a single amount. If put into a formula, the formula cannot be used to group or count.

I found a solution. Although I cannot group on the range formula because it contains a summary, I can create a running total for each range to count the number of individuals and put them at the end of the report. The evaluate section can be based on a formula and it accepts formulas that contain sums. It's tedious, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back