Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Sorting Difficulty 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktwhite

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
I am finalizing a Financial Report in Crystal 8.5, where I am having difficulty keeping the detail records with the correct group when the report is generated. In the example below, the report contains four hierarchal groups in the following order: 1). FUND, 2). ORG, 3). REVENUE, 4). PARENT ACCOUNT; and then sorted by CHILD ACCOUNT ( DETAIL) . I have a page break after each revenue group, and a page break after each ORG Group. This keeps the detail with the correct ORG, however, I get an blank header page between each change of ORG which I am trying to avoid. If I do not include the page break after each ORG, then the ORG spans the page, and becomes associated with the next set of detail incorrectly. Any Suggestions?

FUND 1000 header group 1
ORG 500 header group 2

6953 PARKING FUND TRANSFER 228,019 detail
6961 WATER O & M TRANSFER 677,849 detail

PARENT 6900 905,868 grp4 subtotal

5253 SALES TAX2 2,257 detail
5255 R & B 4,785 detail

PARENT 5200 7,042 grp4 subtotal

** TOTAL REVENUES 912,910 group 3 subtotal
Ken

Can you please provide more information like -

Are you using Page break after or Page break before?
Do you have Keep group together option On or Off?
What about Suppress blank section on each section (GH and GF)

open up the Group for for FUND and enable the "Repeat Group header information on successive pages" or something like that, I forget the exact wording.

That should solve your blank header problem Jim Broadbent

Thanks for the response, but I am not quite there yet. For this particular report, I have the "Keep Group Together" option 'ON' for Group 4 only; a "page break after" for Group 3, and a "page break after" for Group 4. I have also Suppressing blank section on each section (GH and GF) I did try to enable "Repeat Group header on successive pages" for the Fund Group (Group 1), but still have the same issue. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS
Ken

Thanks again, however it is my understanding that this site only supports anonymous contact, and as a result I am not privy to information on how to communicate with specific individuals. Perhaps you know of a particular location /website that deals with "Grouping" within Crystal. I have looked at the Crystal help menus, searched on Google, and looked over the Crystal user manuals, and nothing seems to address my specific issue.

I really appreciate all of the help so far. Ken

My guess is that you may have some extra whitespace on the bottom of one of your sections that could be causing this. A quick check is to make the Background color of each section a different color and then run the report.. see if any color shows up on your "blank" page.

Lisa

LISA; Thank you soooo...much! Your suggestion to change the background color was right on target for my problem. As a result, I was able to identify the 'extra whitespace' (which would have never occurred to me as the problem), then "Suppress" tne section.

Thanks again Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back