Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group ringing via a callbox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
Avaya G700 / S8300 - running CM 3.1.4

I am trying to figure out how a call button rings a group of phones. When someone pushes the button, a group of phones in the building rings and when someone inside answers any of the phones they can carry on a conversation with the person outside. The box is wired into a standard analog port and in the gateway is set up as a Type 2500 station. It has no coverage path.

I have a call pickup group that this is not part of and I also have a call answer group that this is also not part of.

What other mechanism is there for a call box to ring multiple phones?

Jeff
[small]"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me
[/small]

The analog phone being hotlined to an extension that has bridged appearances on other phones is the most likely way.

So, you can hotline an analog phone so when it goes offhook, it automatically dials a certain number - the number of an extension on the system - 101 for example.

Other extensions have keys of "brdg-appr 101" so they all ring when 101 is called.

If one of the people answering is 202 for example, you can do a "list trace station 202" and make the call and see which two parties connected and how to work backwards and get a better idea.

Doesn't appear to be a bridge. The box is ext. 5014. "list bridged-extensions 5014" comes back with no records. I was hoping not to disrupt them too much, but I think I will need to do a trace o none of the stations while someone pushes the button.

Jeff
[small]"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me
[/small]

Fair enough. Though, the way it'd typically work is that box 5014 would be hotlined to 5555 and the brdg-apprs are of 5555 and exist on other phones. Is 5014 hotlined to anything?

I'm not sure what you mean by hotlined. What I've got is an analog pair from whatever hardware is in place plugged into a port assigned extension 5014.

Jeff
[/small]

do a list trace station 5014 when it goes offhook. By hotline, i mean you can setup an analog phone to call a predefined number - like 5555 - where a line appearance of 5555 exists on multiple other phones.

Ok, that's starting to make some sense. That box may be calling the same cover answer the generic outside line does.

Jeff
[/small]

Did my trace and found the callbox is indeed calling the cover answer group. I was looking and not finding bridged appearances but found out that every phone in the building has an abridged appearance for the answer group. Added that to the new phone and it rings.

Jeff
[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back