Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Technical User
Sep 5, 2003
US
I want to setup a Group Policy that will make it so that everyone that logs onto the Network and puts anything in their MY DOCUMENTS folder goes into a folder on the Server instead of on their local drive. Can I do this through Group Policy or do I need to do it through and batch file and can anyone help me with this.

Thanks, AV

In my experience (and my experience may be insufficient), you may have to go to each workstation, right click the "My Documents" icon,reset the path, and let that machine migrate the files over on its own. The reason I'm thinking this is because the "My Documents" directory exists on that local machine's hard drive, which kind of makes it a local operation (sort of like local folders in Outlook). If you used roaming profiles, you would probably have no problem with that then (but again, I may be wrong, I've not tried to do a bulk move of My Documents folders).

"I would rather have a free bottle in front of me, than a pre-frontal lobotomy..."

-Shrubble

Inside Group Policy go to the following area:

User Config ->Windows Settings ->Folder Redirection-> My Documents

Right Click My documents and insert the mapping that you would like to use for all users. Apply this policy and all the users that have this GPO assigned will have My Docs mapped to the network. Be aware of this.......If you are in a W2K Domain that since you have redirected the My Documents folder to a network resource, by default Synchronization manager will run when logging off the computer or when connectivity to the server is lost...

HERE is another TWIST to this. How in the world do you set this up in Small Business Server 2003. It is a lot different than 2k or 2k3 Server.

Thanks, AV

take a look at your "To Do List" and you should see a folder redirection task.

If you are just int he process of setting up your SBS box I highly recommend that you run down the list of items here.

If you have accidentally cleared that, you can run MMC and add the Group Policy Management MMC Snap-in. Drill down to a policy or create a new one and follow the directions that mlichstein has provided. The general look between 2000 and 2003 policy management has changed but not the policies themselves (other than more choices). SBS works the same as its associated Standard/Enterprise version.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back