Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy to Turn Off Windows Firewall on Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

bickyatbickyz

Technical User
Nov 9, 2007
GB
Hi,
I have windows 2003 dc with several win xp clients. Clients has SP2 installed. I manually Turned Off the Windows Firewall on these clients last month.

Now i can see that couple of clients has Windows Firewall Turned On automatically.

I definitely know that nobody else except me has administrator password for those machines.

How can it be possible?

Also is there any solution like Turning Off from the Group Policy.

If you add the XP SP2 adm to the correct GPO you will be able to manage these features, alt you can use the admin tools from an XP SP2 station to make the changes.

I'd recommend installing the tools and then enabling the firewall and then setting the file and priter sharing exception. This will allow most functions but provide extra protection for your clients.

Go into your GPO or make a new one, use the default or however you do it:

Computer Config - Admin Templates - Network - Network Connections - Windows Firewall

Then Windows Firewall: Protect all NW Connections - and set this to Disable then any XP PC with Windows Firewall will have this disabled.

Iain

Depending on which adm files you've added, there are two places to set the firewall. One for domain connected machines, and one for machines not connected to the domain. Typically, the domain connected section is where you turn it off, and then force it on for non connected machines. What that will do is turn the firewall on when laptops are used outside of your environment.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back