Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy to disable Internet file downloads with exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITJam

MIS
Nov 25, 2002
US
Hi,
I am new to setting up Group Policies. Our company has not had the need for real tight security but we definitely need to stop some users from downloading from the Internet. Is there a policy that will disallow downloading with the exception of certain file types like pdf and csv files? Or is it easier to allow a few users to download?
All users on XP(service packs vary), under Win Server 2003.
Thanks in advance.

You either block or allow with that particular policy. There are no ways to set exceptions.

You are probably better off creating a policy to block the downloads and then appoly this to all but your "power users" or "trusted users".

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

First policy to implement is Disable Right Click, Save to disk
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Compnents > Internet Explorer > Browser Menus > Disable Save this program to disk option.

Disable DL and running programs.
User Configuration > Windows Settings > Internet Explorer Maintenance > Security > Security Zones and Content > Import Current Zones and Content > Select the Internet icon, click Custom. Check the following are all set to disabled.
Downloads > File Downloads - DISABLED
Miscillaneous > Launch Downloads and Unsafe Content - DISABLED
Miscillaneous > Launch Programs and Unsafe Content

Do this on a test setup first, make sure it doesn't give you blocks on things you might want.

Hope you found this post helpful.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Thanx Mark and Neil,
I was gearing toward just allowing trusted users, but the other solution sounds good too...I will test it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back