Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy Software installation/

Status
Not open for further replies.

olusayo

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2005
NG
Hi all,

I copied Windows 2003 Office application from its CD to a share folder on the network (\\servername\officeapplication).

I created a GPO on the domain controller and navigated to users configuration\software settings\software installation.

I right click on software installation and select New Package.

I browsed to \\servername\officeapplication\VISPRO.MSI to install Visio.

I got this error message "Cannot verify path to a network location. If this package is not available from a network share. clients will not be able to install it. Are you sure you want to deploy this package using this path.

I clicked yes.

To accepted and run GPUPDATE to validate the group policy.

When i restarted the clients machines and try to start office Visio. I got this error message.

"The feature you are about to use is on the network that is not available. C:\officeapplications\".

Please What do i need to do to rectify these error messages.

Thank you very much

Check if the clients have permissions on the package, and the share please.
Regards

Lars

Network admin for worldwide freight forwarders company.
mcp mcsa\: Messaging mcse -2003

You need to create an administrative install. Copying the CD contents won't do it for you. Check out my FAQ on the subject. faq96-4996. There are a lot of updates you should apply, don't just push out the base application, push out a secured and pathed version.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Hi mark,

Im Happy to inform you that the logon script is now working fine.

On Installing Application through Group policy, Can you please explain what you mean by on faq96-4996"

5. Install the patches by running MSIEXEC.
msiexec /a \\uncpath\OfficeInstall\Office.msi /p \\uncpath\Patches\patch.msp
Where Office.msi and patch.msp are the actual file names on your system."

Which file names are you refering to here.

Thank you very much.

Leke

Go to the Office.microsoft.com web site and download the latest updates to your machine such as the latest Office 2003 SP2 and Outlook Junk Mail Filter Update.

Run these updates froma command line using the /c and /t switches to EXTRACT the contents of the patches. That will give you the MSP files you need. You will note that there will be a few "extra" MSP files. They are easy to identify because they will be the same names across multiple patches. You do not need to run MSIEXEC with those files, just the main ones.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you mark,

This is what I run on my windows comman line'

msiexec /c\\uncpath\officeinstall\Projec
t2003SP2-KB887620-FullFile-ENU.msi /t \\uncpath\patches\Project2003SP2-KB887620-
FullFile-ENU.msp.

Where "Projec
t2003SP2-KB887620-FullFile-ENU.msi is the patch i downloaded from office.microsoft.com.

Please can you tell me exactly how you want me to run the downloaded office patches.

Thanks.

Code:
msiexec /a \\uncpath\officeinstall\Project2003SP2-KB887620-FullFile-ENU.msi  /p \\uncpath\Patches\Project2003SP2- KB887620-FullFile-ENU.msp

Regards,

Mark

Thanks,

As soon as I run the code you pasted from "Start, Run, the system prompted "Open with" Dialogue box.
I browsed to the location Project2003SP2-KB887620-FullFile-ENU.exe and select it and clicked ok.

This error mssage was prompted
"Command Line option syntax errorype command /? for Help.

I also run the code on Windows command Prompt. It prompted Windows Installer Dialogue box I also clicked Ok to accept.

Can you tell me where to run the code.

Thanks for your time.

Leke

i thnk mark posted a typo,
after the /a should be the name of the msi file you want to patch not the msp file.

After running code and a pop to choose which program to run when i choose a program to run it with I get syntax error on command line

msiexec /a \\uncpath\officeinstall\project.msi /p \\uncpath\Patches\Project2003SP2- KB887620-FullFile-ENU.msp

the below part of the command should point to the msi file you want to apply the patch to, this should be documented with the msp

/a \\uncpath\officeinstall\project.msi

once you have patch your admin install then you might find you ahve to so a REINSTALL=.... on your clients

Thanks MrMovie, you are correct. It was a typo. The patch needs to be applied to the MSI.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark and MrMovi

Do I need to copy the content of Office 2003 CD into administrative install Point.

I could not find the office setup.exe in the Administrative install point when i wanted to deploy the software through GPO software seetings.

Once again im grateful for your support.

Leke

No, you do not need to copy the CD. GPO uses the MSI file not the EXE.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Markdmac,

I did not see any .msi file in the administrative install folder when i performed the following

"1. Insert the office CD and cancel the auto install wizard
2. Create an Administrative Install
a. Create a folder for the Administrative Install
b. Start>Run> D:\Setup.exe /a
c. When prompted enter the install key
d. Browse to where to put the Administrative Install (path from step A)"

I only saw the following folders.

"Clipart, Media, Office11 and Template.

Though I was expecting to see at least one .msi file which will be used for the installation.

Thanks for the time.

Leke.

Verify that you media is not a retail copy. retail versions will not actually do an administrative install.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back