Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group policy - Simple question for a experienced admin 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlauwers

Technical User
Aug 20, 2003
BE
Hi,

I just implemented group policy.
I've read alot about it and think I'am doing it the right way.

I have a group policy : "Laptop users". I would like that this policy is executed when the users logon to the network.
But i would like that when the users are at home the policy is NOT executed.

So now when they log in at home (userid/domain) the policy still is executed. (remembered i guess)

Letting users logon locally is not an option.

Anyone has a suggestion ?

thanks alot !

Greetz
H

So when your users log on at home, they are using a VPN to connect to the office network?

If they are logging into the domain and not the local machine, then domain level GPO's will be applied. I don't see a way around this since you stated that local log on is not an option.

Patty [ponytails2]

Right Patty!
GPO can be applied to machines and/or to users.
When a user logs on, doesn't matter from where, he is a user in that network and will have applied to it (if exist) the GPO user part.
The only choice then is to make a policy based on machines. Put your laptop computers in an OU and assign a policy to them.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

Hi Guys,

not all of the users are using VPN @ home.
So when they just log on, (not on the domain)group policy still is executed ? I would think that this only is possible when you can contact a domain controller during thelogin procedure.

Or does he remember the last gpo settings for the domain?

Greetz
H

If they aren't using vpn@home, are they not connecting from home? If that's the case, the solution is already here. Per the previous posts, create an OU for the people that are using vpn@home, the others shouldn't, matter. (Please clarify if I'm wrong, and good luck. We all need it.)((Here's a couple of stars for our stars, GrnEyedLdy and GiaBetiu!)) [2thumbsup]

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"Letting users logon locally is not an option..."

Maybe I have misunderstood your post, but if they are not logging into the domain, then they must be logging on locally. If this is the case then domain level GPO's will not apply.

Patty [ponytails2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back