Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy - Screen Saver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brysk

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
NC
I have create a group policy for setting up the screen saver on every computer on my domain. But A FEW computer seem to have the policy (I can see the setting when opening the screen-saver setting everything is correct and all the option are grey out) BUT the screen saver is not working after the period...

Someone have an explanation?

You can see the config of my gpo (GPMC) (Sorry for the french version)
Screen-Saver.jpg

Here is the screenshot of the screen saver properties, you can that everything is setting right.

But after 15 minutes the computer wont go in screen saver mode.

Properties.jpg

Some software like MRU Blaster by Javacool Software can cause Screensaver problems.

Or try this thread.
XP Pro Screensaver Quit Working
thread779-453976

Windows XP Screensaver Timeout Problem
thread779-639552

The culprit was MRU Blaster by Javacool Software.

If you enable it via Group Policy, a screen saver runs, provided the following two conditions hold: First, a valid screensaver on the client is specified through the "Screensaver executable name" setting or through Control Panel on the client computer. Second, the screensaver timeout is set to a nonzero value through the setting or Control Panel.

The Screen Saver Policy Settings Are Not Enforced on a User's Computer

Check the following Registry Locations

Check the Value "SCRNSAVE.EXE" and "ScreenSaveActive".

See what location it is pointing to, and whether the Access Permissions for the Registry Key are correct.

"ScreenSaveActive" appears in these locations when the Group Policy is not configured. The last two keys may vary depending on users etc.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-507921405-839522115-725345543-1008\Control Panel\Desktop

If you enable it in Group Policy "ScreenSaveActive" appears in these keys. Again the last 3 keys may be slightly different depending on users.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-507921405-839522115-725345543-1008\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-507921405-839522115-725345543-1008\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

In all cases the valuedata is 1 for active or 0 for disabled (Reg_SZ)

I don't know if this has been solved, but within 24 hours of active user login, the group policy will automatically update on the client PC's.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back