Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

group policy replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemorej

Technical User
Mar 12, 2004
PH
good day.

i'd like to copy the group policy(gpedit.msc)from one pc to another, is there a way that i can import/export the policy?

i'm using windows 2000 computers in a network, i don't have active directory.

thanks.

You want to copy the group policy editor?
If both machines are Win2k or XP they have gpedit.msc natively.

i can edit the gpedit.msc in the win2k pc. how do i copy the gpedit.msc of on pc to another?

thanks.

Gpedit.msc is a program.
If the other machine is running Win2k or XP it already has gpedit.msc installed natively.

Gpedit.msc is a program.

If you used a Resource Hacker or some other editor to modify the group policy editor rogram, make sure before you copy it that you rename it something other than gpedit.msc

This will keep you from overwriting the original group policy editor installed natively with the operating system, and avoid issues with the Windows File protection system.

Other than that, it would easily copy over a LAN, or fit on a floppy disk or USB pen drive. It is not a very large program.

oh sorry i was asking the wrong way.

what i mean is, i have made some policy editing using the gpedit.msc, some on the administrative templates and windows settings under the user configuration. it would be tiring if i would do this editing on each computer in the network.

is there any possible way that i can save the editing that i made and import it on the other pc?so that the policy will be uniform in all the pc in the network?

i dont have active directory, sorry.

thanks.

Log on as Administrator.

[li] Use the Group Policy Editor to make the changes you wish to have for non-Administrator users.[/li]

[li] Copy the file %systemroot%\System32\GroupPolicy\User\registry.pol to a backup Folder location; say, AdminGPO, as Registry1.pol[/li]

[li] Copy the file %systemroot%\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\registry.pol to the same backup location as Registry2.pol;[/li]

Now do the copy:

[li]Copy User Policy: Copy the file AdminGPO\registry1.pol and overwrite the file %systemroot%\System32\GroupPolicy\User\registry.pol on each computer;[/li]
[li]Copy Machine Policy: Copy the file AdminGPO\registry2.pol and overwrite the file %systemroot%\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\registry.pol on each computer.[/li]
To prevent these user policies from applying to Adminnistrator users (if you wish), use NTFS permissions on the two registry.pol files and deny Read to Group Administrators.

i followed your instructions, i restarted the pc, but the changes did not apply. when i open the gpedot.msc on the pc that i pasted the .pol files, the changes that i made was copied but it didnt take effect, why is that? i tried restaring the pc still the same.

Two thoughts:

. Remember I excluded them for Administrator-type users
. Start, Run, gpforce.exe

The Group Policy Object Editor stores registry-based configuration settings in two binary Registry.pol files. One file contains computer settings and the other file contains user settings. The Group Policy Object Editor saves the settings to these files on exit, and imports the settings on startup.

If you copied both files to the user folders as instructed, on the next logon the settings will be read and applied. As I said just above, you can force the installation if need by.

Be sure that you have no permissions issues on the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back