Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy Probs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWray

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
I am trying to fix some errors in the event viewer. According to M$ they are related to the DC Group Policy. When I go into AD Users and Computers, expand the domain, Right-click DC's, properties, group policy tab, I am receiving an error message saying, The Domain Controller for Goup Policy operations is not available. You may cancel this operation for this session or retry using one of the following domain controller choices:
The one with the Operations Master token for the PDC emulator
The one used by the Active Directory Snap-ins
Use any available domain controller

I have tried all of the above and receive errors saying Fialed to find a Domain Controller. There may be a policy that prevents you from selecting anothe DC.
Details: network name cannot be found.

This is the only DC in our network, so there must be something I've configured wrong or did not do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Hey Matt. This is gonna sound weird, but bear with me. Dig down into the Sysvol share on the DC where the Default Domain and Default Domain Controllers Policies are. In each of those policies, go into the Machine folder and drill all the way down (Machine\microsoft\windows nt\secedit) to the GPTtmpl.inf. Open that file up and take a look at it. Does it appear "normal" , that is to say, no odd spacing or characters? It's just a shot, but once I saw someone with the same problem as you, and these .inf files had become corrupted with weird characters and null spaces.

I think we're on the right track. On M$ site they said something about the sysvol folder, all the way down as bronto said, and the policies were not there. M$ said I could manually recreate them, which I did, but that didn't fix it. I'll have a look at the GPTtmpl.inf, thanks all, and cross your fingers! Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Well, the GPTtmpl.inf looks all right. I saw this in another thread posted by Brontosuarus, "\\DC\sysvol\domain_name\policies\6AC....all the way down to the machine's GptTmpl.inf file." Is this the correct path. My server has 2 sysvol folders, \\dc\sysvol\sysvol\domainname\etc, maybe this is my problem? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

The second sysvol folder is shared and has the scripts folder shared as NETLOGON, if that is any help? Still cannot resolve this issue... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

the correct folders are the ones down the path with 2 sysvol's. The other one is sort of a staging area....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back