Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

group policy problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jracine

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
US
I am having some real tough times getting group policy settings to apply let me explain what ive done and hopefully someone can help me out. I am running SBS 2000 for about 15 w2k clients. I want to apply group policies to a certain group of users. I have set up a OU in AD and added a Security Group in the OU for the group of users. I have added a new group policy to the OU i created that uses a logon/logoff script and disables some items. I have DNS services up and running and i have set the security settings for the security group to read and apply group policy. All this sounds like the right way to do things only problem is it simply does not work on any of the clients. I have used the gpresult and secedit tools and still no luck. Please if anyone has any answers let me know. Thank you

This sounds as though you have set everything up ok.
First before checking anything else - double check DNS - definately set up ok and client has a valid server address.

Could you paste in some output from running gpresult(pref verbose mode)?

Also enable userenv logging like this

thread616-104650

Also get netdiag from resource kit and run this on the client this will check just about every client connectivity issue and maybe give you some clues.

Also run replmon to check group policies are in sync on DCs - basically there are two compnents one in the AD and the other stored in the sysvol - if these aren't in sync on all DCs - you will not get that policy applied. Possible problems could be incorrect permissions on sysvol or FRS not working probably.

Check event log for any other clues relating to userenv, client side processing or FRS.

Check these out and post any clues - I'm sure we can get them working !! :)
Cheers

Maybe i'm not following you here, but from what I gather, you don't have any users or computers setup in your OU, You only have the Security Group. Group Policy only affects users and computers. Therefor you have to change the group policy for the OU that contains your Users

Dan

I think the user objects have to be in the OU that you apply the policy to. Policies are only for users and computers not goups.

I checked the DNS settings, all the zones are correct, and all the clients are setup correct. I checked the OU, and i have placed both a Group and individual users into the OU to test the group policy (although i am aware that group policy will not extend to user groups). Now i also have FAZAM to analyze what is going on the GPO a little better. Acording to the report from FAZAM i have 2 GP objects created, one for the Default Domain Policy and the other being the OU policy i created. It says both are being applied in step by step order the Domain policy being applied first then the OU, and the resulting policy has login/logoff scripts and the properties i want. Now here is something i did not notice before the GPO policy will work on the Domain Controller machine but no others. Also incase you it helps when i run gpresult, it says that the last time group policy was applied was today when i logged in. But it doesnt have the username listed in any securty or distribution groups which leads me to believe it is not getting the entire GPO applied to it. Also sorry about the length i just want to try to explain very well so we dont have to back and forth forever. Thank you all for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back