Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

group policy problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

myersn024

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2004
US
NW 6.? and ZFD 6.5

I've been trying to create windows group policies for the last two days and I keep running into this problem. I can create the policy through Console 1 and store it on the ZEN server. I can log in with my test user and it will get pushed down (I've checked by opening gpedit.msc), but none of the settings take effect. I've tried several different things to fix it but nothing works. Any ideas?

I'm trying to push out the windows XP group policy part of a user package. I've associated it directly with specific users and with containers and neither makes a difference.

sstoppel, I tried what your link suggested and it didn't help.

Also, go in and edit the policy and check that it is actually doing what you want.

How a policy is created:

ConsoleOne takes the local policy a copies it into a temp location then fires up MMC to edit the local policy. AS you edit the policy, you will see the changes take affect on the system your creating it from. So check, see if the policy setting your thinkng of are actully working. When you close MMC, the local policy gets copied to the network location and the local policy stored in the temp location is restored.

Rules of Policies:

As Marv pointed, user need read/filescan rights to teh directories storing the profiles.

You must create the policy using the OS the policy will be applied to. You can not create a policy in ConsoleOne running in Win2k when the policy is intended to be used on XP machines.

Use a test system to create policies, you'll shoot your eye out if you use your work system. Personally, I just LOVE VMWare to create policies in a guest OS load. Works wonderfully.

Most policy function only take affect on user login, make the schedule to be based on user login.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer

I've double checked the rights assignments to the users and still no luck. I really need to get this working as quickly as possible. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I have the same problem (I use NW 6.5 and ZENworks 4): if I create new policy for “Windows XP” nothing is happening but if I create new policy for “Win XP, 2000, NT” it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back