Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy Prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

TidyTrax

Programmer
Jul 11, 2001
AU
Im having problems implementing Group Policy for setting the target path for My Documents. I have gone through the process of changing the Folder Redirection option of my GPO - i have changed it tooo \\mbpdc\usersDocs\%username%

But has no effect on any of the Win 2k or XP machines on the network - they all still point to the previous place which is c:\documents and settings\username\my documents

Now i was wondering why the policy is not enforcing???? The rest of the group policy enforces just fine all except this rather important part!!!! Any pointers????

Did you allow time for replication? Also, do the directories you are pointing to exist?

No i didnt allow for replication. And yes the directories already exist. And the users have the approriate permissions for these directories. Should i allow for replication???

Some points I have had to look at with regards to this are;

Is DNS perfect? Group Policy relies on DNS for implementation - this is particularly susceptible with XP machines.

Check the event logs on the clients - sometimes the reason the redirection wasn't applied will be listed.

Are you using Roaming Profiles?? I have found that I needed to delete the locally cached profile on the clients before the new policy would apply!

Thanks for the response Coleford - yeah im using roaming profiles, the thought re: locally cached profile did occur to me, i tryed deleting and then loggin in user again but the path had not changed.

I shall investigate possible problems with the DNS implementation, anything in particular i should look for????? And i will check the event logs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back