Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy preferences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkchopexpress

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2005
GB
Anyone had a play yet?

I was reading the link below and noticed this
you won’t have to install Windows Server 2008 on all your Domain Controllers or anything like that – all you need to do is to have a single Windows Vista SP1 with the upcoming, and freely downloadable, “Remote Server Administration Tools” (RSAT) toolkit installed
. So you need a Vista box to manage the features, will you be able to manage them from a 2003 (GPMC 2 on 2003?) DC or will you need to roll out 2008 DC's before you can manage this from a DC?

Anyone know?

Cheers.

Porkchopexpress,

Group Policy Preferences can only be managed with GPMC2 from the RSAT pack. The console will only run on Vista SP1 and Server 2008. The GPMC2 contains the new policy extensions that will be saved to the SYSVOL of your 2003 DC. That means you do not have to have a 2008 DC to role this out. You will ,however, need to install the client side extensions on every client that will process GPO Preferences.

Here is a link to an overview whitepaper:
Here is the link to the Windows XP client side extensions:

Plus, IIRC, those are available as part of Windows Updates.

Pat Richard MVP

Thanks for the replys guys, i've had chance to play with 2008 server during the last 4 months and managed to answer my own question. It may come in handy for others though :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back