Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy over WAN not applying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercilon

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2001
US
I have 70 remote offices and GPO works fine on my local subnets, but will not work at my remote offices. They are connect via VPN of DSL. GPUPDATE /force does not seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

I had the same problem. Check the minimum transfer rate setting (I can't remember the exact name of the setting). It controls how fast the network connection has to be to transmit the GPO.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

do all remote offices have their own DC ?

I belive mrdenny is thinking of slow link detection.

Here is some info about slow link detection on 2000:
I think this info also applies to XP/2003, but I would have to double check.

The first thing to verify is that ICMP is enabled across the WAN. If not, slow-link detection will fail and GP will not be applied.

So if I want to apply my gpo regardless of connection speed, I should do the following?

Disable: "Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Group Policy slow link detection" for both the Computer and User configs.

Are there any other settings that I need to change?

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. thanks mlichstein

Denny

[noevil]
(My very old site)

I'm still having problems with this. Under both the computer and user sections of the GPO, I have enabled the "Group Policy slow link detection" sections and set them to 0kb. My computers are still not updating - gpupdate does nothing. I know the policies are working fine, because they do apply to some of my centers, just not all of them. I do not have a DC at the locations and am just wondering what I could troubleshoot.

What does GPResult show?

Denny

[noevil]
(My very old site)

For the trouble centers, only parts of the policy are applying. For example, under the User config, the Administrative templates apply fine, but the Windows Settings do not get pushed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back