Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group policy not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpln

Technical User
Feb 23, 2005
GB
I have created group policy to lock a workstation after 10 minutes of inactivity. I tested this on my own account and the lockout works correctly; however, it does not work for any other user I add to the policy.

Any ideas why please?

Did you create this in the default domain policy? For everything other than password and acct lockout you should create a separate one. Also make sure DNS is working correctly.

I created a separate policy that sets the lockout and set a default desktop wallpaper. The wallpaper works for any user, but the lockout only works for me.

Try running gpupdate /force on one of the pc's.

Still can't get it to work.

I have the policy showing under our domain name, below the Default Domain policy. This is linked to the same policy file under Group Policy Objects.

The only difference between myself and the test user is security rights; I have 'Edit settings, delete, modify...' and the test user has; 'Read (from security filetering)' - could this be anything to do with it?

thanks for all your help.

Did you modify the security? Normal users need to have "Apply Group Policy" as well. This is given by default.

Try running gpresult when the settings are not being applied, it should tell you whether or not the GPO is being applied.

That might give us a clue.

Thanks,
Andrew

[smarty] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

Also make sure the default is over writing they other policy.

Thanks both for your help; I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back